Author Topic: Canon RAW cr2 to TIFF  (Read 752 times)

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
Canon RAW cr2 to TIFF
« on: October 10, 2022, 03:32:41 AM »
Hi,

Used your great app for years and years and years! Thanks for all the hard work. I'm stuck with Mac OS 10.6.8 and Photo Mechanic 5, there is a good reason! Haha.

Question is: I have a Canon 5D IV and the RAW files are not read by anything 'apart' from your brilliant app. I can export them in PM5 to a TIFF to edit in Camera Raw. Can you tell me if Photo Mechanic 5 is exporting/reading the RAW data from the cr2 file or using an inbuilt jpg?

Thanks as always, Charles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon RAW cr2 to TIFF
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 09:13:18 AM »
Charles,

Used your great app for years and years and years! Thanks for all the hard work. I'm stuck with Mac OS 10.6.8 and Photo Mechanic 5, there is a good reason! Haha.

Question is: I have a Canon 5D IV and the RAW files are not read by anything 'apart' from your brilliant app. I can export them in PM5 to a TIFF to edit in Camera Raw. Can you tell me if Photo Mechanic 5 is exporting/reading the RAW data from the cr2 file or using an inbuilt jpg?

It is very likely using the embedded JPEG.  Even if you turned RAW rendering on (via Apple's ImageIO), your macOS version is old enough that their RAW renderer won't have the necessary updates (your camera is far newer than your macOS version.)

-Kirk