Author Topic: Stop PM from FTPing unnecessary files  (Read 1532 times)

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Stop PM from FTPing unnecessary files
« on: October 19, 2022, 08:30:11 AM »
I've noticed two things since I started using On1 Photo Raw 2022 with PM. The first after I've sent a file to On1 for editing it comes back with a non-standard "Caption" field in the IPTC. I don't mean "Caption-Abstract" which is correct and I want to keep it.

The second is when I try to ftp one of these files as a JPG, PM insists on trying to send the On1 sidecar file.

How do I tell PM to only FTP the JPG? Why would it want to send the sidecar file anyway?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Stop PM from FTPing unnecessary files
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 11:04:57 AM »
I have created a few test files for your ftp issue with the ON1 sidecar files but so far Photo Mechanic is only sending the jpeg files.  Can you post a jpeg and the matching ON1 sidecar that will demonstrate this problem?  Thank you.

--Bob

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:39:01 AM »
Sure thing

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »
Thank you for the sample files. I was able to recreate your issue with these files.  To prevent Photo Mechanic from including the on1 sidecar files when uploading jpeg files, is to uncheck the ON1 entry in the Manage file associations dialog.  This will be found on the Files preference page.  Click the Edit button at the upper right to open this dialog.

--Bob

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
That did the trick - thanks Bob!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 01:18:18 PM »
That did the trick - thanks Bob!

You may have gathered this already, but I think its worth mentioning for anyone who might see this thread: this also disables Photo Mechanic from handling the file in all situations: so if you rename the image in Photo Mechanic, it won't rename the ON1 file. If you copy the file with Photo Mechanic, it won't copy the ON1 file along with it. Keep this in mind as it may cause unexpected behavior in the ON1 program if it expects those files to exist and they don't.