Author Topic: Really slow image browsing Build 6552 on Ventura  (Read 5741 times)

Offline photoboy96

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Really slow image browsing Build 6552 on Ventura
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 10:43:21 PM »
I am having the same issue of very slow scrolling with Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6552 after I updated my 16 MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Max and 64GB to Ventura. I am only using MacBook Pro screen - no second monitor. The slowdown is especially infuriating under tight deadlines... I have upped the cache sizes, which seems to have helped a bit, but scrolling is still not quick.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 10:04:58 AM »
Just wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that we have reproduced issues with moving between images in the Preview window and are doing what we can to resolve them. My own testing, shows some quite different performance when using different color profiles, with sRGB (as as Apple calls it on my MacBook Pro: "Internet & web") performing significantly better than the default profile for my MacBook Pro's built-in disaplay: Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits). Some other users confirm that changing their display profile improved performance as well.  I understand that this is not a viable workaround for many folks, but it may explain why this is is not an issue for every user.

That said, I'll update the forum threads when we know more, but if you are experiencing an issue other than the speed of moving between images in the Preview window, please send an email to support@camerabits.com, as we have not been able to reproduce those.

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 04:09:14 PM »
To follow up on this issue with slow browsing on Apple Silicon + Ventura, the default profile "Colour LCD" and both supplied P3 profiles (Display P3 and image P3) cause the slowdowns when selected in System Preferences > Display.

Offline djphillip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 06:06:03 AM »
Same issue here. Very slow browsing using Mac OS 13.0.1 on M1max laptop. Didn't have this issue before updating OS.

Offline Archer065

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 06:15:29 AM »
Just reporting in that I have a Mac Studio Ultra with two monitors and no issues with viewing images with Ventura. Works great as usual.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 11:22:13 AM »
Just reporting in that I have a Mac Studio Ultra with two monitors and no issues with viewing images with Ventura. Works great as usual.
Thanks for chiming in. Never hurts to have confirmation that an issue is limited in scope in some way or another. I'm curious about what monitors you are using?

Offline alphapix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2022, 03:06:30 PM »
Having the same issue - Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6645 on MBP M1 Pro / 16gb / Ventura. No external monitor .

Its a little better after the update but still way slower than it was / should be.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2022, 03:41:10 PM »
We are working with Apple on a fix for the issue of slow browsing in MacOS Ventura.

Offline rhomberg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matthias Rhomberg . fotograf . photographer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 01:41:57 AM »
Can you share any information about where the issue is coming from / what the reason might be?

Offline Brofessional

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2022, 03:31:25 AM »
External monitor was LG, and color profile was "LG ULTRAFINE", changed to sRGB 2.1 and updated to Build 6645.
Still little bit laggy, but now possible to work.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 04:58:22 AM »
Just wanted to report having no issues with iMac 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with two monitors (Dell S2715H) viewing images with Ventura 13.0.1 also no issues when connecting my Macbook Pro M1 Pro to 1 of the Dells.

Offline WildcatPhotog24

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »
I have found disabling the "Synchronize single selection between Preview and Contact Sheet" option in Preferences -> Preview has helped preview speed as a temporary fix. You won't know where you are when going back to the contact sheet, but worth it for the speed increase.

Specs: Apple MB Pro 2021, 16-inch M1Max, OS 13.0.1, PM build 6645 (f4860a9)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.