Author Topic: Setting up Code replacement on a Mac  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Bridget

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Setting up Code replacement on a Mac
« on: January 10, 2023, 01:23:42 AM »
Forgive me if this topic has been covered, I plan to read through the posts later this morning.

I am trying to set up code replacements for politicians (who dont have shirt numbers ;) ) and am wanting to do this on my Mac.
I don't have Microsoft on the Mac so would be working with Numbers and Pages.
I could possibly do this in Excel on another laptop, but firstly would like to know if it is possible to set this up on a Mac.

I have tried a few times, but am struggling to understand how to do this.
Is it possible to use first name/Surname initials instead of numbers ?

PM is set up on a Mac with an M1 chip - I have tried to set up using the Excel on the other laptop, but it Airdrops into the newer macBook into Numbers.

All in all I'm quite confused.

I listened to the basic set up explained by Camera Bits on YouTube, but cannot make this work.

Any pointers/suggestions/explanations gratefully received :)

UPDATE:

I have now successfully added a code replacement by modifying one posted on here (thank you Omid Messinger - I hope you don't mind ... your post has helped me to work out what I was doing wrong. I have just copied your layout, but modified to use for UK politicians).
Problem was that I wasn't using TextEdit (I didn't think it was an app that was available on the Mac), and I was also confused by the reiteration elsewhere that one had to use numbers and a code in Excel.
I hope I have now set it up for my basic needs.
Just leaving this here in case it helps another rookie to they function.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:41:48 AM by Bridget »

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Re: Setting up Code replacement on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 05:09:10 PM »
I'm a big fan of BBEdit for a pure text editor and use it for all my code replacement work. The free version is sufficient.
https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.html
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/