Author Topic: Find window with ability to search the whole catalog  (Read 1533 times)

Offline GLS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find window with ability to search the whole catalog
« on: October 12, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
Hello,
I use Photomechanic Plus.
I know my way around SQL / regex, still I find it a pity that the find window will search ONLY the contact sheet or the selected files. It would be far more convenient for simple searches.

Could you please add "Whole catalog" to the existing choices?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

GLS

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Find window with ability to search the whole catalog
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »
 Note that the Search in Photo Mechanic Plus by default does search the entire catalog(s) that have the checkbox checked right above that search box. You can choose to restrict the search to the Contact Sheet items, but only if you check the box. Otherwise, it does search entire catalogs.

Here is some more info about how to use the search in Photo Mechanic Plus https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077445-photo-mechanic-plus-search

The Find dialog (cmd-f) is not a database search. If you want to search an entire catalog, we recommend using the search box.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline GLS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 10:14:46 AM »
Hello,
Sorry if I was unclear:
Instead of using the search box (on the left in the image that I attached) it would be more convenient to have a dialog box (like on the right side of the picture).
Please let me know if I am missing something.
The only Search that I find on the menus is Spotlight Search that for some reasons has become over time FAR less reliable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 10:32:36 AM »
Hello,
Sorry if I was unclear:
Instead of using the search box (on the left in the image that I attached) it would be more convenient to have a dialog box (like on the right side of the picture).
Please let me know if I am missing something.
The only Search that I find on the menus is Spotlight Search that for some reasons has become over time FAR less reliable.

The Find panel offers features that cannot be provided in the Catalog system.  The Search tab as shown in your screenshot is how you search your entire catalog.

Spotlight Search is provided as well, but it does not search your catalogs.  It is a technology provided by Apple and it doesn't know anything about Photo Mechanic Plus' catalogs.

-Kirk

Offline GLS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 01:43:10 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
It would be a very welcome addition to have an interface like the Find panel to search the entire catalog.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 07:47:14 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
It would be a very welcome addition to have an interface like the Find panel to search the entire catalog.

The Search tab in the Organizer is that interface.  Please look at the Search Examples on the Catalog menu.  It really is quite powerful.

-Kirk