Author Topic: Deleting EXIF  (Read 944 times)

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Deleting EXIF
« on: November 04, 2022, 08:42:03 AM »
Hello everybody!
For a client I need to delete EXIF data before delivering photos, except one specific EXIF field that is "Date Time Original". The client demands this field in his contract. Is there a way to this in PM? If I use Tools>Delete Metadata also "Date Time Original" gets deleted.
Can you hint me to other software (windows based) that be able to perform this operation then?

I also noticed while using EXIFtool that there is still a.lot more metadata that I would like to see deleted also, i.e. history, document history, device manufacturer etc.

Thanks

HM

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting EXIF
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »
If they need to retain certain EXIF data, then ExifTool would be the thing that we recommend.

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 09:31:01 AM »
I wasn't aware that ExifTool was able to perform operations, I thought it was just useful to view exif data.
Please elaborate...

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 09:38:49 AM »
I wasn't aware that ExifTool was able to perform operations, I thought it was just useful to view exif data.
Please elaborate...

I would recommend reading the software's manual: https://exiftool.org/exiftool_pod.html

If you have questions about how to accomplish what you need with their software, they have a forum which Phil Harvey (the person who wrote Exiftool) frequently responds: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 10:00:00 AM by ahoward »

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
Thanks. I will check that out.
But maybe that would be a good feature for PM in a future release? Like checkmark boxes to select which exif data you would like to be deleted. That would be much more convenient than a command line tool.
Also a metadata template that can be configured by the user to show hidden IPTC custom fields like ID 207, 210 etc. would be very useful, since I often get files that have been treated with Fotostation, which makes use of those fields.

Happy Weekend!

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 09:41:32 AM »
I'd upvote that feature if you post it in the Feature Request forum.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 01:21:03 AM »
I'd upvote that feature if you post it in the Feature Request forum.

Thanks! Posted it in the Feature request.