Author Topic: PM created XMP-files are not read by Lightroom classic 12.01  (Read 795 times)

Offline ReLe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM created XMP-files are not read by Lightroom classic 12.01
« on: November 05, 2022, 03:54:55 AM »
Windows version 22H2 b22621.674
PM version 6.0 b6552 (1b31032)
Lightroom version 12.0.1 b202210260744-9e008017

After updating to Lightroom Classic 12.xx, adjustments made in PM no longer get imported. In my workflow I rate and crop files in PM working straight from memory card and then import to Lightroom. In past this has worked flawlessly.

-Only CR2 files are imported. XMP-files are on memorycard, but do not transfer over to ligthroom.
-It does not matter if XMP-file extension is in upper or lower case. Tried both.
-If I copy XMP-files from memory card to Lightroom imported library folder where the CR2 files are, and rename the files to match, Lightroom reads the files and edits transfer over.
-If I diff the XMP-files that have worked previously to files created by PM now, they differ only in following tags:
   -photoshop:DateCreated
   -xmp:CreateDate
   -xmp:Rating
   -photomechanic:Prefs
   -aux:ImageNumber

I do believe this is LR issue, but reason why I'm posting this here is that I want to know if anyone else using the same workflow is having the same issue or is it just me. I posted also to LR forum "https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-v12-01-nor-12-0-does-not-read-xmp-files-upon-import/m-p/13320482#M297161", got no official reply from Adobe but people suggested that this could be PM issue.

I could try with LR 11.5, but preview cache, library versions etc differ, so it's too big of an hazzle to test.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM created XMP-files are not read by Lightroom classic 12.01
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 10:57:04 AM »
I was able to test your workflow on my W11 laptop with a builtin card reader. My Lightroom Classic is the same v12.0.1 as your but my W11 is a newer Preview build, 25236.1010.0.  I start with Lightroom running in the background. Next I click and drag the selected group from PM to LrC's icon in the Taskbar, wait until LrC opens in the front and then drop the select group into LrC's work area.  Since the files were on the SD memory card, the only Import option was to Copy the files. LrC did copy all of the selected CR2 and matching XMP sidecar files created by Photo Mechanic.   Did you try using drag and drop to send the files from Photo Mechanic to Lightroom Classic?

--Bob

Offline ReLe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »
I tried with only import dialog before since that's what has been working for me up until now.

Now I tried to drag cropped/star tagged set from PM to LR. LR opened import dialog and I imported photos. This time edits with photos got transferred over. I don't know how this is different, does PM pass both XMP and CR2 to LR by doing this, compared to going to memcard folder in LR? But this works and I can continue to use PM&LR combo like before. Thanks.

Edit: Selecting memory card in LR from "files" section and not from devices selection works. LR reads the metadata.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:04:41 PM by ReLe »

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »
Thank you for the nice update. Yes, Photo Mechanic does include the XMP sidecar files when dragging the selected group of raw files to another location.

--Bob