Author Topic: Caption problem - Photo Mechanic 4.6.9  (Read 888 times)

Offline reisefoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Caption problem - Photo Mechanic 4.6.9
« on: November 08, 2022, 02:47:36 AM »
Hi to everybody,

i have a caption on all my images in two languages like;  "german caption | english caption" - divided with a "|"
One customers now requiers all images only with the german caption - is there a way to automaticly delete
everything coming behind the "|" for big amounts of images? Maybe with find and replace? 

Thanks for any help,

Peter Schickert
www.schickert.info

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Caption problem - Photo Mechanic 4.6.9
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 10:53:28 AM »
Peter,

i have a caption on all my images in two languages like;  "german caption | english caption" - divided with a "|"
One customers now requiers all images only with the german caption - is there a way to automaticly delete
everything coming behind the "|" for big amounts of images? Maybe with find and replace?

Yes, it can be done with Photo Mechanic 6 but not in PM 4.6.x which you have stated that you have.

In Photo Mechanic 6, 'grep' capability was added.  You can use this to match patterns.  For your case you would search for:

'^.+\| ' (without the quotes though.  I added them because the trailing space is important.)

I have attached a screenshot of the Find and Replace panel.

-Kirk

Offline reisefoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 07:35:11 AM »
Thank you very much for the info, finally i received PM 6.0.

Your solution is perfect to remove the GERMAN Caption from all of my images with the caption:

"german caption | english caption"

but i need to remove the ENGLISH caption - everything behind the | - is there a solution for that, too?

Thank you very much....

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 10:53:16 AM »
Thank you very much for the info, finally i received PM 6.0.

Your solution is perfect to remove the GERMAN Caption from all of my images with the caption:

"german caption | english caption"

but i need to remove the ENGLISH caption - everything behind the | - is there a solution for that, too?

Thank you very much....

' \|.+$' would be the grep string you would use. Again, note the space at the beginning to make sure it matches the space before the | character.  And remember, the grep string is the text between the single quotes, do not copy the single quotes themselves.

If you want to learn more, I highly recommend https://regexr.com/
It gives an excellent breakdown of what each character in your regex search does.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 10:56:52 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline reisefoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 11:44:16 PM »
Perfect - thank you very much....