Author Topic: Integration of an app execution alias of a Windows-App Package (MSIX)  (Read 1501 times)

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
Hi,
the increasing use of the Windows-App package (MSIX) raises the question of how to integrate such an app execution alias in the "Open with ..." dialog.
Many users of the new Affinity V2 version have the problem that it cannot be integrated with a normal .exe file.
(https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/170283-affinity-photo-v2-exe-file-location/&do=findComment&comment=979732).
When I try to include such an app execution alias (from the hidden folder C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\) in PM+ I get the error message "The system cannot access this file."
Is it a PM problem or is it a Windows problem?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:51:51 AM by bildbaendiger »

Online Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Integration of an app execution alias of a Windows-App Package (MSIX)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 04:46:31 PM »
I got the same error message when attempting to set the path to the Affinity Photos.exe, so it seems like it's a Windows permission issue. I was able to discover a workaround. I launched Affinity Photo and then opened the Task Manager. Open the Affinity Photo 2 entry and then right-click the Affinity Photo entry, Now click the Open file location entry from the contextual menu. This will open a new window with access to the Photos.exe app.  Right-click and drag the Photos.exe icon to the Desktop. Use the Create shortcuts here option.  Now rename the shortcut to just Photos. Now you will be able to set the path to this Desktop shortcut on the Launching preference page. Affinity Photos does not need to be running in the background. The app will launch when sending the selected images to it from PM.

--Bob

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 12:23:03 AM »
Hello Russell,
I'm on Windows 10 and i just doesn't work for me I still get an Permission error.

Also I think you have to do this workaround after every update from Affinity Photo

I just figured out that I can launch Affinity Photo by launching affintiyphoto2.exe from cmd but I can't find this file on my system.

Kind regards
Jan

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 12:31:52 AM »
I think I just found a way which will maybe work. At least it works on my main machine.

I just made a batchfile/cmd with the following code:

Code: [Select]
start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

The i placed it into a new folder C:\Program Files\Affinity. But I think this should also work from Desktop or any other Folder you will choose.

From the Preferenc Tab within PM I changed the path to this Folder. To see the File you will need to place * into the Filename Selection and then you will need to press Enter. After this you should see the CMD and you will be able to select this. And then you should be able to open the files with Affinity Photo within PM.

Hope this helps. If it is not clear I also could make some screenshots

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 02:41:07 AM »
Great. Thanks Bob, that works!
That was a really good idea to bypass the problem with the permissions via a shortcut of the running program.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 05:01:16 AM »
...I just made a batchfile/cmd with the following code:
Code: [Select]
start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

My Win10 Pro 21H2 build 19044.2251 requires:

- path/affinitphoto2.exe
- quoted path because it contains a space character
- ISO-8859-1 encoded path because it contains a non-ascii character

According to the Affinity forum moderator there will be an official solution to the problem, likely .exe launcher.
--
Odd S.

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 05:37:22 AM »
How did you install Affinity Photo? I installed it from the Microsoft Store and added my Credentials later.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 07:14:14 AM »
How did you install Affinity Photo?

Buy and download from the Affinity site, then run the installer. No MS Store for me.
--
Odd S.

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 09:01:38 AM »
Maybe this could be the reason why the affinityphoto2 is not in path

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
Maybe this could be the reason why the affinityphoto2 is not in path

It isn't. I reckon the path should point to the directory where affinityphoto2.exe is located. That directory is in my path, for good measure the system has entered it (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps) twice,  at the beginning and at the end of the path that points to a few other directories:)

--
Odd S.

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 05:53:28 AM »
Regarding to Serif they will bring in the future MSI Packages and then there will be hopefully no need for the workarounds anymore.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 11:13:11 AM »
Regarding to Serif they will bring in the future MSI Packages and then there will be hopefully no need for the workarounds anymore.

That is great news. Have they said this publicly or was this in a support ticket with them?

Found it. For anyone interested: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/172369-are-legacy-msi-v2-installers-available/