Author Topic: Bizarre behavior of cropping cursor  (Read 4433 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Bizarre behavior of cropping cursor
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »
PM version 4.5.1 Beta 2 (0510) on a Win XP system:

In this version, the cursor on the cropping tool is misbehaving. After you select the crop tool, the cursor doesn't change to the appropriate mode until you have clicked and dragged it on the image, and it stays in that mode until you click and drag again.  So for example, the crop cursor doesn't show up until you actual start the cropping. The move tool doesn't show up until you actually click on the cropped portion and move it. And the resize handles don't show until you actually try to resize. But resizing is virtually impossible because of the weird cursor behavior. You are lucky to be able to grab a side or corner of th image.

Cropping with this version is essentially unusable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bizarre behavior of cropping cursor
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »
PM version 4.5.1 Beta 2 (0510) on a Win XP system:

In this version, the cursor on the cropping tool is misbehaving. After you select the crop tool, the cursor doesn't change to the appropriate mode until you have clicked and dragged it on the image, and it stays in that mode until you click and drag again.  So for example, the crop cursor doesn't show up until you actual start the cropping. The move tool doesn't show up until you actually click on the cropped portion and move it. And the resize handles don't show until you actually try to resize. But resizing is virtually impossible because of the weird cursor behavior. You are lucky to be able to grab a side or corner of th image.

Cropping with this version is essentially unusable.

That's odd since I made absolutely no changes to any of the cropping code.  I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on my end.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »
I did some additional testing, and the problem occurs when I have the preview window moved to my second monitor (the secondary display) with the contact sheet on the primary display. When the preview window is superimposed over the contact sheet on a single monitor, then the cursor behaves normally. I guess I can live with a single display, but it sure is handy to have the preview displayed separately. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »
I did some additional testing, and the problem occurs when I have the preview window moved to my second monitor (the secondary display) with the contact sheet on the primary display. When the preview window is superimposed over the contact sheet on a single monitor, then the cursor behaves normally. I guess I can live with a single display, but it sure is handy to have the preview displayed separately. Thanks.

I just fixed this.  I had tested with two monitors and it had worked fine for me when had I tested it.  I always have my second monitor set to be to the right of my main monitor.  I tried some other positions (left of main monitor, above and below) and found that I could reproduce the problem when the second monitor's top-left coordinate was at a negative offset from the main monitor.  Once I was able to reproduce the problem I was able to fix it quite quickly.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:28:21 AM »

I just fixed this.  I had tested with two monitors and it had worked fine for me when had I tested it.  I always have my second monitor set to be to the right of my main monitor.  I tried some other positions (left of main monitor, above and below) and found that I could reproduce the problem when the second monitor's top-left coordinate was at a negative offset from the main monitor.  Once I was able to reproduce the problem I was able to fix it quite quickly.

-Kirk
Which is the case with my setup. Guess I should have been a little more specific, although this was a pretty subtle bug as it turned out. Thanks for the efforts.
Jim