Author Topic: PM+ Update the catalog location of folders I have moved  (Read 1054 times)

Offline jennyspies4@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM+ Update the catalog location of folders I have moved
« on: November 15, 2022, 05:12:56 AM »
Good day

I have moved the folder where my photos are located from the D: to F: drive. When I view Organizer>browse tab, I do not have the right click menu available on the drive level (on D:) to "update the folder location"- the menu is only available on a level lower on "Media" - please see attached image. Previews in contact sheet have yellow dots.

I have relocated the catalog successfully after Catalog Management>Local Catalogs>Default Catalog>Maintenance indicated that reintegration was required. Folders containing photos that were not moved from the original folders when ingested/cataloged are available in the relocated catalog - previews in contact sheet have green dots and folder path indicated correctly.

How do I update the folder location to a different drive (in this instance external drive)?

Thanks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM+ Update the catalog location of folders I have moved
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 05:33:21 AM »
...to clarify further, changing the location few levels down the folder path subtree does not update the location

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 11:12:35 AM »
When I view Organizer-browse tab, I do not have the right click menu available on the drive level (on D:) to "update the folder location"- the menu is only available on a level lower on "Media" - please see attached image.
This is expected. You cannot use "update folder location" on an entire drive.

...to clarify further, changing the location few levels down the folder path subtree does not update the location

We will need more information in order to help with this. Once you click "update folder location" you should be selecting the new location of that folder, and the Folder Path tree in the Browse tab should then be updated to reflect the new actual location of this folder. Are you saying that after doing this, nothing changes with the folder that you right-click on to update the location?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 02:15:36 PM by ahoward »

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 12:23:12 AM »
Hi, that is exactly the case, I select the folder path I wish to change, select the relevant new location and click on "select folder".

No changes are then applied to the folder path - please see attached.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 08:14:39 AM »
In the organizer I see a folder called Media, which I assume contains folders with your images in it, but in the screenshot where you are picking its new location, it looks like you are choosing the folder that contains the Photo Mechanic Plus Database, not the new location for the Media folder. However, I see that a folder called Media is on the F drive. Is that the new location of the folder called Media that the catalog thinks was on the D drive?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:52:40 AM by ahoward »

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 01:29:06 AM »
Hi, yes it is.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 09:11:03 AM »
So did you choose that folder when updating the location? If you are choosing the "Default Catalog" folder as the new location for the Media folder, its not going to work.

Perhaps it would be best if you gave us a call on our support line at +1-503-547-2888. I am not clear on what is going wrong for you and perhaps it would help if we can go step by step through the process.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 03:29:14 AM »
Hi, thanks for your prompt response and assistance.

Because it is only a few photos, I removed them from catalog at the previous location (D:) and added them from the new location (F:) so sorted for now.