Author Topic: Dropbox Interference with File Marking?  (Read 608 times)

Offline Sonadiatoms

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dropbox Interference with File Marking?
« on: November 24, 2022, 06:55:33 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0 build 6645 on Windows 10x64.

This error message frequently shows up when I try to tag or assign a color class to an image.  Attached is the message.

I went into Permissions via the button on the dialog, but I am already full Admin.  I may have overlooked something, though?

My only lead is that if I disable Dropbox, the problem seems to go away.  The folder the contact sheet is drawing from is actively managed (synced to the cloud) by Dropbox.  I'm wondering if PM and Dropbox are somehow stepping on each other's toes.  I'd love to find a work around for this besides disabling Dropbox sync.

Thanks.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Dropbox Interference with File Marking?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 04:30:13 PM »
In order to reproduce this issue, I also had to be working within a folder that was syncing with dropbox. Further, I could never make this issue happen with JPGs, so I tried it with a PNG as shown in your screenshot. At that point, I had a 173 KB PNG file, and reproducing this issue required me to repeatedly spam the T key to tag and untag the image, which would happen successfully several times before the error occurred.

Then, I tried with a larger PNG of about 3 MB, and the error happened much more frequently, however I still needed to press the T key very rapidly in order to get this message to appear. I don't know if file size has to do with this, but if Dropbox needs to lockdown the file until it can sync the changes, I assume file size could play a part in this since a long file would likely take longer to sync. However, if Dropbox is locking down the file at random times, I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about this.

Offline Sonadiatoms

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Dropbox Interference with File Marking?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 08:38:54 AM »
Hello, thank you for testing this.  Apologies for not being more specific.  I mostly meant rating/assigning color class.  I just tried the actual "T" key and it seems to work fine now.  That said, I do remember getting the error a lot when actually tagging, but this was not long after I installed the software.  I wonder if Dropbox was doing more heavy lifting while things were getting set up in the background?

Currently, this problem happens most reliably for me when assigning a color class, as in, around 50% of the time, or what feels like more than 50% because it's quite annoying.

The files are all PNG, and they are not that large at around 1.3 MB each.
The whole catalog is around 1400, so not massive.