Author Topic: filter by description/caption not empty?  (Read 695 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
filter by description/caption not empty?
« on: December 02, 2022, 04:49:14 AM »
This should be easy, but I haven't used filters or collections much until now. I'd like to set up a collection that filters for images where the description/caption isn't empty. It seems like that should be easy, but under IPTC of Custom Search I can't find anything that says description or caption. Oh, and I'm on Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6645, Mac OS 10.14.6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: filter by description/caption not empty?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 08:58:13 AM »
This should be easy, but I haven't used filters or collections much until now. I'd like to set up a collection that filters for images where the description/caption isn't empty. It seems like that should be easy, but under IPTC of Custom Search I can't find anything that says description or caption. Oh, and I'm on Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6645, Mac OS 10.14.6

See the helpful Search Examples (Catalog->Search Examples...)  There are two examples that will be of use for you:

caption is empty
caption is not empty

You can use these queries in the Search tab of the Organizer or in a Custom Search filter.  No need to create any Collections.

For more info on what can be searched, see the Searchable Fields window (Catalog->Searchable Fields...)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 06:16:52 AM »
Thanks, Kirk! Another few questions that should be easy:

1. Is there a way of searching for all tagged photos in a catalog?

2. When a sync turns up missing photos, that means that it's in the catalog but the photo itself is no longer there, right? So is there any danger in doing a remove-and-delete? In other words, there's no chance that could somehow remove an actual photo, right? I'm confused because there are some photos that show up as missing, but nothing in the path or in the filename is at all different from what it is in the actual folder where the photo is located. How can this be?

3. In the sync collection, there is absolutely no reason to worry about photos that have shown up in previous syncs, right? Just clean out the current missing ones and all is well? And is there any reason to keep the old syncs at all?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 08:53:32 AM »
Thanks, Kirk! Another few questions that should be easy:

1. Is there a way of searching for all tagged photos in a catalog?

tagged > 0

2. When a sync turns up missing photos, that means that it's in the catalog but the photo itself is no longer there, right?

Correct.

So is there any danger in doing a remove-and-delete? In other words, there's no chance that could somehow remove an actual photo, right?

As long as you choose the Remove option instead of the Delete option, then the image will only be removed from the catalog.  If you choose the delete option and the item actually exists, it will be deleted as well as removed from the catalog.

I'm confused because there are some photos that show up as missing, but nothing in the path or in the filename is at all different from what it is in the actual folder where the photo is located. How can this be?

Are you absolutely certain nothing in the entire path to the file, including the filename has changed since it was added to the catalog?

3. In the sync collection, there is absolutely no reason to worry about photos that have shown up in previous syncs, right?

No, no worries to be had.

Just clean out the current missing ones and all is well? And is there any reason to keep the old syncs at all?

What you decide to do with them is your choice, they're optional and when activated in the Sync, are there for your reference.

HTH,

-Kirk