Author Topic: Topaz PhotoAI  (Read 713 times)

Offline danielfrimley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Topaz PhotoAI
« on: December 04, 2022, 01:30:48 AM »
Hi,

Edit: Apologies mods, please move this to the PM+ Support forum. Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6645. MacBook Air (M1, 2020) Monterey Version 12.6.1. Topaz Photo AI 1.1.0

I note there have been comments regarding Topaz products elsewhere in this forum, though not recently and not necessarily the same as my issue.

I take a Leica CL APS-C RAW file (DNG file extension type, SOOC), “Edit Photo With” Topaz PhotoAI from PM+, apply various denoising and sharpening, then save as linear DNG.

PM+ sees the output and displays what I imagine to be the embedded thumbnail but nothing more than that, I can’t preview the image or see any of the data. I can open the output in DxO PhotoLab absolutely fine which is odd as PL usually chokes on anything Topaz and DNG. Linear DNGs created from RAW with DxO are fine in every respect in PM+

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:18:43 AM by danielfrimley »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Topaz PhotoAI
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
Hi,

Edit: Apologies mods, please move this to the PM+ Support forum. Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6645. MacBook Air (M1, 2020) Monterey Version 12.6.1. Topaz Photo AI 1.1.0

I note there have been comments regarding Topaz products elsewhere in this forum, though not recently and not necessarily the same as my issue.

I take a Leica CL APS-C RAW file (DNG file extension type, SOOC), “Edit Photo With” Topaz PhotoAI from PM+, apply various denoising and sharpening, then save as linear DNG.

PM+ sees the output and displays what I imagine to be the embedded thumbnail but nothing more than that, I can’t preview the image or see any of the data. I can open the output in DxO PhotoLab absolutely fine which is odd as PL usually chokes on anything Topaz and DNG. Linear DNGs created from RAW with DxO are fine in every respect in PM+

Photo Mechanic is showing the embedded preview in the DNG file.  Topaz PhotoAI is creating a small preview.  Check the settings in Topaz PhotoAI and see if they offer options to put in a full size preview.  If not, contact them and ask them to add the ability to choose preview size.

-Kirk

Offline danielfrimley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 01:05:39 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I will. Does this explain the lack of histogram as well?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 08:54:21 AM »
Daniel,

Thanks Kirk, I will. Does this explain the lack of histogram as well?

If the image only has a thumbnail (which yours appears to be) then no histogram can be generated either.

-Kirk