Author Topic: Converting image collection to dng format  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Skids

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Converting image collection to dng format
« on: December 27, 2022, 07:17:45 AM »
Hi,
I am considering converting all my raw images to dng format and I have been conducting some experiments with Photo Mechanic and Adobe DNG Converter.  Photo Mechanic allows a selection of raw files to be converted from within the library.  Whereas the Adobe DNG Converter processes folders of images.  In both cases it appears that any metadata in xmp sidecar files is written into the new raw file.

I had hoped that controlling the conversion from within Photo Mechanic would present the option to add the new dng to the catalog while offering to move or delete the original raw file.  However, this does not occur and it is not clear to me the best way of replacing the raw originals with the new dng version in the catalog.  Is it better to use Adobe's tool to create a new library of dng image files and then create a new catalog in Photo Mechanic ?

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Converting image collection to dng format
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 05:18:37 PM »
Simon,

I had hoped that controlling the conversion from within Photo Mechanic would present the option to add the new dng to the catalog while offering to move or delete the original raw file.  However, this does not occur and it is not clear to me the best way of replacing the raw originals with the new dng version in the catalog.  Is it better to use Adobe's tool to create a new library of dng image files and then create a new catalog in Photo Mechanic ?

I suggest doing the latter method.  You'll have a much better and more reliable experience that way.

-Kirk