Author Topic: Turn Off Tabs  (Read 5235 times)

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Turn Off Tabs
« on: May 15, 2007, 03:52:56 PM »
I tend to drag folders to the dock to open and would like to turn off tabs and have the contact sheets open seperately like they used to. Is there a way to do this? I know if I set preferences to 'replace frontmost contact sheet' this will essentially do this but only if I'm using the sidebar and it won't leave seperate contact sheet windows open.

Thanks for the help!

J

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Turn Off Tabs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 04:00:34 PM »
I tend to drag folders to the dock to open and would like to turn off tabs and have the contact sheets open seperately like they used to. Is there a way to do this?

No, there is currently no way to do that.

-Kirk

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »
Any thoughts on adding that option in future preferences?

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:17:04 PM »
Hi,

I agree it would be useful to be able to do this. I occasionally need to see two windows side-by-side at the same time.

In the meantime, I have found a workaround. If you have a window with two tabs, you can go to File>New Window to open an empty window, then simply drag one tab from the other window to the new window. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 04:36:15 PM »
Thanks Paul, that's a good workaround for specific window - however I'm using them a little differently. I show my clients shots to them as I go. However I also like to do editing, etc on other jobs during down time. So essentially I'm usually working on two to three seperate projects simultaneously, minimizing whatever I'm not currently working on so I can come back to it later. Every time the newly mounted CF card launches a window it maximizes the most recent minimized window - usually the one with a diferent job I'm working on on a seperate tab, this can get confusing and I'm constantly closing/re-opening the same contact sheets. It would be nice to have the work I'm doing seperately stay seperate.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:38:06 PM by JStrait »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »
Any thoughts on adding that option in future preferences?

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:57 AM »
Thanks Paul, that's a good workaround for specific window - however I'm using them a little differently. I show my clients shots to them as I go. However I also like to do editing, etc on other jobs during down time. So essentially I'm usually working on two to three seperate projects simultaneously, minimizing whatever I'm not currently working on so I can come back to it later. Every time the newly mounted CF card launches a window it maximizes the most recent minimized window - usually the one with a diferent job I'm working on on a seperate tab, this can get confusing and I'm constantly closing/re-opening the same contact sheets. It would be nice to have the work I'm doing seperately stay seperate.

I don't really understand why having multiple tabs in a single window isn't convenient?  They are separate.  All you have to do is click on the tab that you want to work with.  I understand Paul's need to see two folders side-by-side and that tabs wouldn't get you there, but in what you're describing, just switching tabs when needed would be the equivalent to minimizing to the dock and then un-minimizing later.

Maybe it's just a different way of thinking that you're not used to?

-Kirk

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 08:48:49 AM »
Maybe it's just a different way of thinking that you're not used to?

Exactly! I disable tabs on Firefox too... Hate them... Not sure why, maybe I'll require a labotomy? ;)