Author Topic: Auto scan for PM6 Plus  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Nxdibbles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Auto scan for PM6 Plus
« on: January 03, 2023, 10:54:54 AM »
In photo mechanic plus can we have the catalog auto scan.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto scan for PM6 Plus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:54:56 AM »
In photo mechanic plus can we have the catalog auto scan.

Would you mind defining what you mean by 'auto scan', please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Nxdibbles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 03:35:43 AM »
so when you have the photo mechanic catalog setup if add / change or delete any files outside photo mechanic the only way to update the catalog is to manual sync. i want to know if it can be made possible to auto scan and update the files as changes are made either automatically or after set amount of time. Do you understand

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 08:39:38 AM »
so when you have the photo mechanic catalog setup if add / change or delete any files outside photo mechanic the only way to update the catalog is to manual sync. i want to know if it can be made possible to auto scan and update the files as changes are made either automatically or after set amount of time. Do you understand

For all of the different locations that you have images?  That could be rather taxing on your computer/drives.  The feature would have to track all of the folders that you've added images from and keep re-scanning them to detect changes.

-Kirk

Offline Nxdibbles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 10:50:37 AM »
yea could be taxing running it all the time. what having a scan the folder your in ability

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 11:27:46 AM »
what having a scan the folder your in ability

We're not sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify/restate the question?

Offline Nxdibbles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 04:47:22 PM »
Because you  said having a automatic scan on all your folders could be taxing. Could you give us the ability run a scan on  just the folder your in. I ask this because I use capture with topaz which creates another Dng file which isn’t shown when topaz has finished and requires scan all the folders to update and then I use retouch4me which creates a .tiff and have rescan again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 04:57:19 PM »
Because you  said having a automatic scan on all your folders could be taxing. Could you give us the ability run a scan on  just the folder your in. I ask this because I use capture with topaz which creates another Dng file which isn’t shown when topaz has finished and requires scan all the folders to update and then I use retouch4me which creates a .tiff and have rescan again.

I take it that you're viewing a Search/Browse/Filter tab?  That isn't necessarily a single folder (could be hundreds of folders implied) because the images in the results of the query can be from all over your system that you had added to your catalog.

Better would be to set up a single path (or a few) that are monitored such that you choose what you want to be observed for changes.

-Kirk

Offline Nxdibbles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 06:03:15 PM »
How do you set that up?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »
How do you set that up?

No such feature exists at this time.  I was talking about how your feature request could end up being implemented.

-Kirk

Offline shaneb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 10:03:15 AM »
Hello Kirk! I'd like to add some support for this idea per Andrew's suggestion. For me it would be ideal to ask photo mechanic to sync at a certain time of day. My workflow is below to help you understand how I use it.

So, I come back from an assignment, ingest my cards to the local working drive and then overnight (through chronosync) my computer (on 24/7) is scheduled to sync the drive to the corresponding folder on the server. This happens at 2am every night automatically. That means that I can access the information remotely, it is backed up and if I have dumped stuff from the road to the server, it shows up on the working drive as well.

Photo Mechanic Plus catalog is aimed at the individual folders on that server (one folder/one catalog per year so that I can turn off years/catalogs to speed the search if needed)

It would be super helpful if I could tell photo mechanic to sync the current year's folder at say 4am. That way the catalog is never more than 24 hours out of date.

On the idea of taxing the computer... it's doing the same amount of work, it's just doing it overnight and in smaller increments without me having to remember every couple months to sync.

Make sense? Happy to talk about it. But having auto sync (this could possibly be a standalone plugin that allows photo mechanic to be closed and it still operate) would really boost the idea of using PM+ in rigorous professional environments.

Thanks
Shane

Offline AndyBell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Andy Bell Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 02:21:23 AM »
Sorry I'm late to the conversation as a new PM+ customer.

The Windows SDK has a function called ReadDirectoryChangesW that tracks changes to a folder and its contents... I don't know if MACs have an equiovalent as I don't program them.

The Windows function is difficult to work with and what it reports requires interpretation, but it removes the need to scan folders for changes. You 'just' start a thread that registers an interest in a folder and it waits until a change occurs. For image collections that have one primary folder, with subfolders containing the photos and defining the structure of the image collection, then registering an interest in the primary folder is enough.

A few years ago, I wrote a C++ app to monitor folders for changes to my images and, after a lot of trial and error, found this function to be the best way to do it in Windows. If the Mac SDK has a similar function then it might make this task doable for PM+.

From a Digital Asset Management perspective, automating things is desirable as it's easy to forget to add new and edit images to the catalogue, and re-scanning/syncing can be slow...

Andy