Author Topic: Know how to get actuation count on 5D??  (Read 8271 times)

Offline OutsideShooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Know how to get actuation count on 5D??
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »
Appreciate help on this as I am only using this as a Demo download. There are a few of us wanting to know how accurate PM 4.5 is for this purpose. 

Also are there any of you who have successfully transitioned from iView to PM & are staying? Can you give a reason what you like better?

Many thanks

Rich
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:36:41 PM by OutsideShooter »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Know how to get actuation count on 5D??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:58:06 PM »
Rich,

Appreciate help on this as I am only using this as a Demo download. There are a few of us wanting to know how accurate PM 4.5 is for this purpose.

I don't think the 5D has an accurate actuation count.  Only the 1D/1Ds series does.

The variable you would use is {act}

-Kirk

Offline OutsideShooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »
Kirk, I'm not familiar with your term, 'the variable' you would use is {act}. Can you elaborate? Is this software?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:14 PM »
Kirk, I'm not familiar with your term, 'the variable' you would use is {act}. Can you elaborate? Is this software?

Sorry.  Use the "Set Info Text..." command on the Edit menu.  Put the following line of text into the textfield:

Actuations: {act}

...and click the Set button.

Then when you use the Info Tooltips on the Contact Sheet (View->Show Info Tooltips) or use the Preview window and look at the Info Text pane, you'll see the actuation count of each photo.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline OutsideShooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:36:33 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll try this when I get home from work this afternoon.

Rich

Offline OutsideShooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »
I got it. Thanks Kirk. Unfortunately you were correct about only the 1D Series. Or at least that the 5D does not have an accurate actuation count. I happen to know mine & since I reformatted a memory card then did a shoot it restarted. So the count which is showing as a result of your tip, is only showing what the card has been reformatted to. This is not accurate. So my & others concern about PM having the capability is unfounded. Actually Canon has not made it possible for PM to come up with an accurate count.

It appears the 1D series Canon bodies are the only reliable bodies one can count on for accurate shutter counts using can count.

Thanks again Kirk & if I've missed something I'd be open to hearing your, or anyone reply.

Rich