Author Topic: 'Download some images' from card option  (Read 11269 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
'Download some images' from card option
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »
It would be useful to be able to view the images on the card as per Image Capture and download some rather than having to download all.  At the moment I have to use IC for this and don't like to as it sometimes strips out EXIF data.

cheers

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'Download some images' from card option
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »
Simon,

It would be useful to be able to view the images on the card as per Image Capture and download some rather than having to download all.  At the moment I have to use IC for this and don't like to as it sometimes strips out EXIF data.

You can always browse the card directly in a contact sheet, select the images you want to download, and then use the Copy Photos... command on the File menu to perform that task.

-Kirk

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »
Simon,

You can always browse the card directly in a contact sheet, select the images you want to download, and then use the Copy Photos... command on the File menu to perform that task.

-Kirk

Kirk,

a <CLOSE WINDOW & UNMOUNT SOURCE DISK> - button in the toolbar would be helpfull.

-Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »

a <CLOSE WINDOW & UNMOUNT SOURCE DISK> - button in the toolbar would be helpfull.

-Oryk

I agree!  I don't often need to browse the card directly, but on those occasions a button like that would be useful.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:37 PM »
Sometimes I browsed the card directly, but most people think of cards like originals, negatives, so better do not touch them directly... any option to "speed up" browsing of the cards might be counter to that... Just a contrary view :)

Frantisek

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:09:34 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I didn't think of that! But I agree with Oryk re:

cheers

Simon

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
most people think of cards like originals, negatives, so better do not touch them directly

I also agree with that - which is precisely why it is not something I do very often.  But sometimes if I am shooting a studio-type setup (not my usual work at all) it is handy to slip the card in to check on the proper monitor how the shoot looks.  I know I could tether the camera for that, but that's even less my style. :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 04:37:18 PM »
most people think of cards like originals, negatives, so better do not touch them directly

I also agree with that - which is precisely why it is not something I do very often.  But sometimes if I am shooting a studio-type setup (not my usual work at all) it is handy to slip the card in to check on the proper monitor how the shoot looks.  I know I could tether the camera for that, but that's even less my style. :)

I am not suggesting that you edit on the card.  Actually we strongly recommend against that.  What I am suggesting is that you just look at the thumbnails, select the images you want, and copy them.  Don't tag, crop, rotate, apply IPTC or anything else on the images on the card.  Do all of that after the copy finishes and only with the copies.  Safer and faster on a local hard drive.

-Kirk