Author Topic: View Custom XMP Fields  (Read 900 times)

Offline Sonadiatoms

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
View Custom XMP Fields
« on: January 31, 2023, 12:14:36 AM »
I've worked to get custom XMP fields written to my PNG files, but it doesn't appear that they can be viewed in Photo Mechanic.  When pressing "i" I get a lot of IPTC fields. 

It would be great to be able to define and/or auto-read these fields, similar to how they just show up in the XnView MP's XMP viewer tab.  I'm trying to properly catalog and organize generated art parameters.

I'm not sure whether this functionality exists somehow, but it was asked here in 2019 without a resolution to the thread. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: View Custom XMP Fields
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 09:48:31 AM »
I've worked to get custom XMP fields written to my PNG files, but it doesn't appear that they can be viewed in Photo Mechanic.  When pressing "i" I get a lot of IPTC fields. 

It would be great to be able to define and/or auto-read these fields, similar to how they just show up in the XnView MP's XMP viewer tab.  I'm trying to properly catalog and organize generated art parameters.

I'm not sure whether this functionality exists somehow, but it was asked here in 2019 without a resolution to the thread.

Custom XMP namespaces are not supported in any of our products.  Have you tried using any of the many supported fields instead of creating your own?

-Kirk

Offline Stenis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: View Custom XMP Fields
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 05:46:21 PM »
Why not?

It's commonly used in DAM-systems and a feature of XMP.

Another feature I would have loved to see is a possibility to tie XMP-metadata to really any type of file. At least in a separate database for other objects than images... often you need different schemas-templates for images and other documents any way. Many users I think need to get some order among even their text documents like Word and Excel-documents and PDF-files and make them searchable in one viewer.

Full grown DAM-systems use to have these possibilities. Some of them will index even the content but for a photographer it might do with indexing of just the XMP-data. You index video-files, why not Office-files and  other files like PDF-files. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to bring up a Powerpoint and the images used in it and even be able to lauch it seamlessly with "Edit with ....?"

Maybe a version like that should cost a little more I should be fine with that if it was useful.