Author Topic: Quick search not finding anything  (Read 642 times)

Offline randall_benton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Quick search not finding anything
« on: February 05, 2023, 03:21:42 PM »
I just upgraded to Photo Mechanic version 6, build 6738 (5753775) on Mac OS 13.2. I have been using PM 5 for years, and relied heavily on the Quick Search function that was at the upper-right of the UI. I finally found the relocated QS field, but when I type a search word into it, no results are found. I searched for terms I knew PM5 had always found, but nothing. I searched for terms that appear only in filenames, but nothing is found. Nothing I plug into the search field is ever found. What am I overlooking? I know every user of PM develops their own unique workflow and not everyone will depend on this function. But I rely on it heavily. My reliance and familiarity with PM5 was the sole reason I never updated my OS beyond 10.14. I knew I couldn't hold out forever and when I recently made the jump to OS 13.2 I was committed. Now I wish I had PM5 back. Can you please help me?

Offline randall_benton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Quick search not finding anything
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 04:54:15 PM »
I kept digging, and discovered that the QS feature seemed to be searching endlessly, based on a tiny progress bar at the bottom-right of the UI. But if I limit the search to 'Only search contact sheet items,' PM displays everything in the current contact sheet, plus everything else with the search word anywhere in its metadata from source folders other than the current contact sheet. It actually found images that I had never seen before, and that I had not taken. I can't even see where these photos are stored so I can delete them. This is a useless mess. I am desperate for the simple predictability of the search function of PM5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Quick search not finding anything
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 08:44:28 AM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]