Author Topic: Move from Capture One  (Read 1037 times)

Offline tenmangu81

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Move from Capture One
« on: February 17, 2023, 01:27:27 AM »
Hi all,

As an Hasselblad owner, I am considering moving from Capture One to Phocus, but I need a catalogue... My question is, then, how can I move my metadata from my Capture One catalogue to Photo Mechanic, and how far are they transferred (keywords, stars, colours, IPTC,...) ? I guess I'll have first to create xmp sidecars for all my files, am I right ? Thanks a lot for your help !!
Robert
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 01:51:31 AM by tenmangu81 »

Offline tenmangu81

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Move from Capture One
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 01:40:21 AM »
And additional question : may I "open with Phocus" once my RAW (3FR or fff) files have been ingested by PM ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 10:10:03 AM »
Robert,

As an Hasselblad owner, I am considering moving from Capture One to Phocus, but I need a catalogue... My question is, then, how can I move my metadata from my Capture One catalogue to Photo Mechanic, and how far are they transferred (keywords, stars, colours, IPTC,...) ? I guess I'll have first to create xmp sidecars for all my files, am I right ? Thanks a lot for your help !!

Photo Mechanic Plus does not have an import facility for catalogs from other catalog apps.  If you can get your metadata into XMP sidecar files, that would be best.

That said, Photo Mechanic Plus does not render RAW files and Hasselblad RAW files do not contain high-quality previews in them.  You should try browsing a folder of your RAW files first before you go to the trouble of creating a catalog to make sure you like the other areas of the workflow with your images.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »
And additional question : may I "open with Phocus" once my RAW (3FR or fff) files have been ingested by PM ?

No need to ingest if your images are already locally available.

Yes, you should be able to set Phocus as one of your editors in Photo Mechanic Plus.  See:

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077633-sending-photos-from-photo-mechanic-to-external-editors

-Kirk

Offline tenmangu81

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 11:58:39 AM »
Many thanks, Kirk !

I'll give it a try.

Robert

Offline tenmangu81

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 08:58:42 AM »
Robert,

Photo Mechanic Plus does not have an import facility for catalogs from other catalog apps.  If you can get your metadata into XMP sidecar files, that would be best.

That said, Photo Mechanic Plus does not render RAW files and Hasselblad RAW files do not contain high-quality previews in them.  You should try browsing a folder of your RAW files first before you go to the trouble of creating a catalog to make sure you like the other areas of the workflow with your images.

-Kirk

Kirk,

I have just tried PM+ and, unfortunately, it doesn't support the Hasselblad .3FR nor .fff files. I just get a gray square with the Camera Bits logo... And furthermore I have checked on the help pages of Camera Bits that the Blad files are not supported.
Thanks for your help, anyway.
Robert