Author Topic: Rendering Nikon Z9 images  (Read 577 times)

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
Rendering Nikon Z9 images
« on: March 12, 2023, 04:01:28 AM »
Hi

I've just purchased a Nikon Z9 for sports and have noticed when I check the focus by showing the images full screen or by zooming in to 100% or 75% etc., PM takes around 3-5 seconds to render the image sharp. I'm shooting JPG images in full res Fine*.

I'm wondering if I need to make any changes to PM's Chaching preferences or, do I just have to put up with this delay.

I'm using a 16" M1 MPB 12.6.3 and Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6738 (5753775)

Thanks in advance

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Rendering Nikon Z9 images
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »
The performance I'm seeing on similar hardware is pretty much the same as you, but it really depends. If you are opening the Preview window, waiting a few seconds for the image to resolve and then another few for it to start caching out the next files from the contact sheet, and still seeing a blurry image when you move to the next image, that would be a problem, but if you are looking at the image in the Preview window, waiting that 3-5 seconds for it to resolve, scrolling far down the Contact Sheet, and then opening an image from there in the Preview window, you're likely going to have to wait again, as it wouldn't have had the chance to cache out that arbitrary file yet, and you are essentially watching the large preview load in real time, and it is showing you a stretched version of the Contact Sheet's thumbnail until it loads the bigger version.