Author Topic: Images are slow to ingest  (Read 615 times)

Offline RobynCowan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Images are slow to ingest
« on: March 23, 2023, 11:53:14 AM »
Hello,
I am ingesting NEF files from my Nikon Z9.  Until today, I was using XQD cards, with approx 400mb/s r/w speeds.  I just purchased, and am testing out my new CFExpress cards which have a max transfer speed of 1725mb/s.  I also purchased a new CFExpress card reader which has USB 3.2. 

I was HOPING these new cards/reader would significantly speed up my ingest time, but this is not the case.

I did a quick test...I fired off about 350 shots.  Ingesting  these took about 22 minutes. 

I shoot at events where it's not uncommon to take 3,000-5,000 shots per day.  So..if I shot 3,000 images, it would take over 3 hours to ingest.  Ugh.

Computer:
 - mid 2015 MBP
 - Monterey 12.6.3
 - 16gb ram
 - 2.8ghz quad-core i7

Photo Mechanic:
Version 6.0, build 6738 (5753775)

I ingest each days photos into their own folder on an external Western Digital drive

Any suggestions on now to speed things up?

Thank you!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Images are slow to ingest
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 12:07:34 PM »
I did a quick test...I fired off about 350 shots.  Ingesting  these took about 22 minutes. 

How long did it take to Ingest a similar amount of data from the XQD cards?

I ingest each days photos into their own folder on an external Western Digital drive

If you Ingest to the computer's local drive, is it faster?

Offline RobynCowan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Images are slow to ingest
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 02:57:11 PM »
Hi,

Thanks very much for responding to my query.

I can't be sure, but I may have made a mistake in my total time the first time I ingested my images from the CFExpress card.

I re did it, and this time it was 11'40'.

But I did run the same number of images via XQD card and reader, and it was about 14'45".  So the CFExpress card/reader was faster by about 3 minutes for 359 images.  So... a time savings of about 25%. 

I'm not going to try ingesting to my MBP local drive, as I would never do that.  I don't have enough room.  However, I do use a "hub" - I'll try ingesting with the external drive plugged directly into my MBP and see if that helps.

For now, I'll take the 25% time savings!

Thanks again,  R.