Author Topic: Factors affecting EOS Exporter HTML generation time  (Read 2906 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Factors affecting EOS Exporter HTML generation time
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
I have PM 4.5.1 (Windows XP Pro).

When I generate an EOS site on my old P4 2.6Ghz system, the HTML portion of a 1700 image EOS gallery takes about 1:10.  When I do the same thing on my Core2Duo 2.16 Ghz (2Gb RAM, RAID 0 HDD + second HDD on separate controllers), the HTML portion takes about 3 minutes. 

In the grand scheme of things, either process is FAR faster than my old software setup.  However, I am just curious as to what could be affecting the HTML generation between the systems.  The old system has the ingested files on D: and the gallery output directed to C:, both drives on separate controllers as well.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Factors affecting EOS Exporter HTML generation time
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »
Mike,

I have PM 4.5.1 (Windows XP Pro).

When I generate an EOS site on my old P4 2.6Ghz system, the HTML portion of a 1700 image EOS gallery takes about 1:10.  When I do the same thing on my Core2Duo 2.16 Ghz (2Gb RAM, RAID 0 HDD + second HDD on separate controllers), the HTML portion takes about 3 minutes. 

In the grand scheme of things, either process is FAR faster than my old software setup.  However, I am just curious as to what could be affecting the HTML generation between the systems.  The old system has the ingested files on D: and the gallery output directed to C:, both drives on separate controllers as well.

While I don't know for sure, it could be because of a number of factors: bus speed, cpu performance, hard drive performance, the amount of load from other apps that are currently running, etc.

Please download the 4.5.1.1 release as it fixes a number of issues (non related to EOS template exporting though...)

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: Factors affecting EOS Exporter HTML generation time
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:09:51 PM »
I will download 4.5.1.1.

It is weird that a 4 year old Dell 4600 P4 could outperform the Core2Duo machine when writing the HTML.  When it comes to creating the JPG files, the Core2Duo is 2x faster than the old machine when timed with the same input folder, no other apps running.

If I find something, I will add it to this thread.

-Mike