Author Topic: CR in duplicate photos  (Read 968 times)

Offline Ivycreek1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
CR in duplicate photos
« on: March 24, 2023, 09:59:26 AM »
This may not be the best workflow but after ingesting and editing I export from Photoshop two files for each photo. One .jpg, one .tiff.  I enter general metadata upon ingest. I generally use the smaller .jpg for online or mid-size print photos in the paper and the .tif when I need a larger image in print. Until now When I find the one or two photos that I'm going to use in print I will go back in and add players with the code replacement. I don't add them during ingest as it is usually several hundred photos and I don't have the time to do that.

Recently I have had the need to put players in both the .tif and .jpg of the same image (ie 1230.jpg and 1230.tif) and on a large number of files. Is there a way to quickly have the replacement codes write to both the .jpg and .tiff file at the same time or have I created in mess where it will require typing the code on each file?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: CR in duplicate photos
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 11:54:49 AM »
Since Photo Mechanic does not pair up tiff and jpeg files, the code replacements will not update both files at the sametime. There is an easy solution to your workflow. Once you have updated the IPTC metadata in one set of files, you can use the Text Exporter utility, with the Exp_Custom_Set_Xfer_Default Snapshot, to create a code replacement file. Add the Code replacement file to the Set Code Replacement utility and then apply the Metadata (IPTC) Template, with the MDT_Custom_Set_Xfer_default Snapshot, to load the matching code replacement variables. Apply the Metadata (IPTC) Template to the other set of files.  I have attached the PM6_Metadata_Snapshots_3-23.pmx file with the Text Exporter and Metadata (IPTC) Template Snapshots for this workflow. The PMX file will be Imported into Photo Mechanic's preferences. If you don't want to Import all of the Snapshots from the PMX file then just select the Exp_Custom_Set_Xfer_Default and MDT_Custom_Set_Xfer_Default files from the Import list. I have also attached a text file, MD_Xfer_workflow.txt, with the step by step instructions for this workflow.
Best regards,
--Bob

Offline Ivycreek1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: CR in duplicate photos
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 11:46:48 AM »
Thank you!