Author Topic: How to make RAW and JPEG files have the same name on import  (Read 755 times)

Offline toolboxT

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to make RAW and JPEG files have the same name on import
« on: March 27, 2023, 02:24:54 PM »
I believe when I first started using PM, when I would import files from 2 different SD cards, (one containing raws, the other jpgs) it would give them the same name. Eg:

Photo_01.CR3
Photo_01.XMP
Photo_01.JPG
Photo_02.CR3
Photo_02.XMP
Photo_02.JPG

However, recently it no longer does this and I cannot figure out how to revert it.

Now it does:

Photo_01.CR3
Photo_01.XMP
Photo_02.CR3
Photo_02.XMP
Photo_03.JPG
Photo_04.JPG

This is using the latest version of photo mechanic (on what should be a fresh install of it). The camera is an R5 and it names the JPG and RAWs the same.
I have attached a screenshot of my ingest settings.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: How to make RAW and JPEG files have the same name on import
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 04:37:27 PM »
I think there's two possibilities here:

1) You are now renaming your images on Ingest and you weren't before. Since the sequence variable increments every time a file is ingested, files the first card you Ingest will always have lower numbering than the second card you Ingest if you are renaming with the sequence variable.

2) You were previously shooting both the RAW and JPEG to the same card, in which case Photo Mechanic would rename the pairs with the same sequence value.

As far as we know, Photo Mechanic never ingested files the way you are describing that it used to, as it doesn't really have a way of knowing that the images from one card are the same as the images from another.

If you'd like your RAW and JPEG files to get the same file name, I would recommend Ingesting them both to the same folder without renaming during Ingest, and then doing the rename operation after the fact.

Offline toolboxT

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to make RAW and JPEG files have the same name on import
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 04:44:54 PM »
I believe the issue was #1. I didn't realize that I wasn't renaming them during ingest initially. It works perfectly now. Thanks for the help.