Author Topic: Cropping PM and/or in Photoshop  (Read 9831 times)

Offline dlpictures

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cropping PM and/or in Photoshop
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:39:21 PM »
I am new to PM. I looked in the Help documentation but could not find an answer to my issue: Once I use the crop tool in the edit box, the new 'cropped' version does not show in the thumbnail. The crop does not seem to take effect. If I can't crop in PM, then I would like to open the files(s) in Photoshop and do it there. How do I get to Photoshop from PM? Or better yet, how can I crop in PM?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cropping PM and/or in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:57:13 PM »
I am new to PM. I looked in the Help documentation but could not find an answer to my issue: Once I use the crop tool in the edit box, the new 'cropped' version does not show in the thumbnail. The crop does not seem to take effect. If I can't crop in PM, then I would like to open the files(s) in Photoshop and do it there.

Crops in PM are "soft edits".  To make them take effect, you need to do a "Save as" and set the Apply Crop checkbox.  You can apply your crop in other areas of the program like when exporting HTML, sending photos via email, FTP upload, PhotoShelter upload, etc.

Quote from: dlpictures
How do I get to Photoshop from PM? Or better yet, how can I crop in PM?

You can always send photos to the editor of your choice, but you have to tell Photo Mechanic where each of your editors are.  You can do this with the Launching tab of the Preferences dialog.

Feel free to ask more questions.

-Kirk

Offline BKPhotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kennedy Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 08:01:40 PM »
Cropping with PM is easy and stright forward. First, open "Preferences", and select "Preview". Look on the left side towards the bottom. You will see the cropping section. Set the sizes you want as the default and decide if you want "constrained" cropping. Click on OK.

Then, when you open an image in preview, look on the left side, middle of the screen. Click on the "Crop" Botton. Once you have done this, the cursor should change into a "crop" tool (this may have an official name, but I am not sure what it would be). Once you have done this, click and drag the crop tool over the area you want to crop. Don't worry, you can adjust the positioning of the crop after releasing the left click. The portion of the image that will be cropped out is darkened. Then, simply go to file, save as..., and save the image with a new name or extension.  Don't worry, vertical and horizional images will be cropped correctly, as PM automatically converts the default size to fit the orinatation of the image.

This is very basic and I know Kirk could explain it much better, but I hope this helps.

Bruce

Offline BKPhotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kennedy Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »
Ops, Kirk types faster.

Bruce

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »
Hello,
How do I get a 4X6 crop to stay as a default for each picture that I advance to. Currently I have to reset the dimensions to 4X6 each time for each picture advanced to. I have also tried selecting the default button with no luck.
I sure can't wait for 4.4.3.1. Any word. Sorry to bug you in the form of "are we their yet?"
Thanks again,
Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
How do I get a 4X6 crop to stay as a default for each picture that I advance to. Currently I have to reset the dimensions to 4X6 each time for each picture advanced to. I have also tried selecting the default button with no luck.

Make sure you set the settings in the Preview tab of the Preferences dialog.  Clicking the Make default button just sets the dimensions of the constrained crop, it doesn't make "constrained crop" become the default crop type.

Quote from: mzachs
I sure can't wait for 4.4.3.1. Any word. Sorry to bug you in the form of "are we their yet?"

It's taking a little longer than we expected, so later this week or sometime next week.

-Kirk

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:13:12 AM »
Wow, so easy to set in the crop default preferences. And on the new PM release, thanks so much.
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7