Author Topic: Ingest questions/issues with 4.5.1  (Read 4075 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Ingest questions/issues with 4.5.1
« on: May 18, 2007, 07:04:13 AM »
Running PM 4.5.1 on a Win XP system:

I haven't found any documentation or help regarding "Local IPTC Stationary" vs. "Global IPTC Stationary", so please clarify my assumptions:
"Global" refers to the stationary pad that is opened with the Image menu or the Ctrl-I shortcut.
"Local" refers to the stationary pad that is opened with the IPTC Stationary Pad button on the Ingest dialog, and saved with Ingest snapshots.

Given the above is true...
Bring up the Ingest dialog and check "Apply IPTC Stationary...".
Select "Use Local..." and set some keywords and the caption.
Now select "Use Global.." and set different keywords and caption.
Do an ingest with Global selected.
The stationary pad that is applied is the Local version.

I'm not 100% sure of how this new feature is supposed to work, but it appears the local version of the stationary pad is always applied to ingested photos, regardless of the "Use Global..."/"Use Local..." selection.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest questions/issues with 4.5.1
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 07:24:42 AM »

I haven't found any documentation or help regarding "Local IPTC Stationary" vs. "Global IPTC Stationary", so please clarify my assumptions:
"Global" refers to the stationary pad that is opened with the Image menu or the Ctrl-I shortcut.
"Local" refers to the stationary pad that is opened with the IPTC Stationary Pad button on the Ingest dialog, and saved with Ingest snapshots.

At this point did you exit the Ingest dialog and edit the IPTC Stationery Pad from the main interface?  If not, then you were still editing the local IPTC Stationery Pad.

Quote from: jimb
Do an ingest with Global selected.
The stationary pad that is applied is the Local version.

I'm not 100% sure of how this new feature is supposed to work, but it appears the local version of the stationary pad is always applied to ingested photos, regardless of the "Use Global..."/"Use Local..." selection.

I'll have to inquire further with the engineer who writes the Ingest feature and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:40:57 AM »

At this point did you exit the Ingest dialog and edit the IPTC Stationery Pad from the main interface?  If not, then you were still editing the local IPTC Stationery Pad.

Hmmm...my tests indicate otherwise...
In the Ingest dialog, if I have "Use Global..." selected and press the "IPTC Stationary Pad" button I can see the global pad, and make changes to it. If I then exit Ingest, and open the pad using Ctrl-I, I see the changes I made. Of course, any changes I make to the global pad from the main interface show up when I look at it within ingest. So it appears that the global stationary pad can be edited from either the main interface or the ingest dialog. The local pad can only be edited from the ingest dialog, as expected.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:24:42 AM »
Jim,

Hmmm...my tests indicate otherwise...
In the Ingest dialog, if I have "Use Global..." selected and press the "IPTC Stationary Pad" button I can see the global pad, and make changes to it. If I then exit Ingest, and open the pad using Ctrl-I, I see the changes I made. Of course, any changes I make to the global pad from the main interface show up when I look at it within ingest. So it appears that the global stationary pad can be edited from either the main interface or the ingest dialog. The local pad can only be edited from the ingest dialog, as expected.

Fixed in PM 4.5.1.1.

-Kirk