Author Topic: Cache Prefences XPPro  (Read 7535 times)

Offline MikeFizer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Fizer Photography
Cache Prefences XPPro
« on: May 17, 2006, 01:48:26 PM »
I'm looking for advice on setting up my preferences for cache on a Dual XP Pro machine with 4gb of RAM. I currently have my disk cache set to a 2 drive 30gb RAID 0 scratch disk I use for PSCS2. I don't normally run these programs concurrently. I'm wondering about the "disk cache size", "reserve at least" and the "memory cache size", any suggestions on settings with this system?

Best,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cache Prefences XPPro
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »
I'm looking for advice on setting up my preferences for cache on a Dual XP Pro machine with 4gb of RAM. I currently have my disk cache set to a 2 drive 30gb RAID 0 scratch disk I use for PSCS2. I don't normally run these programs concurrently. I'm wondering about the "disk cache size", "reserve at least" and the "memory cache size", any suggestions on settings with this system?

I'd give it 512 MB or a bit higher for the Memory cache.
Disk Cache size I recommend to be no higher than 1024 MB.
"Reserve at least" refers to how much space the caching system will guarantee to be free when it is building its cache.  This keeps it from ever filling up the entire hard drive when building its cache.  Think of it this way: if you have a 30 GB disk with only 1GB free and you tell PM to use 2GB then it will eventually fill up your entire drive.  If you tell it to keep 100MB reserved, then the max PM will use is 924MB and will never fill up your drive.  Of course it won't ever be able to build a 2GB cache unless you free up a gig or two...

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MikeFizer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Fizer Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »
Thank you Kirk, I've set my "memory cache" to 1024, what do you think?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »
Thank you Kirk, I've set my "memory cache" to 1024, what do you think?

I've never had it that large, but you do have 4GB of RAM and 1024MB is only 1/4 of it so that should be fine.

-Kirk