Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom/Bridge compatible colour labels and Flags  (Read 8497 times)

Offline theorib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Theo Ribeiro - Photography
Adobe Lightroom/Bridge compatible colour labels and Flags
« on: May 20, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »
Hello Kirk,

PM 4.5 came out great! thank you very much!

Just a few things:

Would it be possible on a next version to be able to chose between PM's colour labelling system and alternatively Adobe's 5 colour labelling system?

Also, a GREAT addition to PM would be Adobe Lightroom's Flag system of "Flagged", "Not Flagged" and "Rejected" flags with their respective keyboard shortcuts.

PM is becoming for me and a big bunch of other photographers out there (I believe), a great companion and add on to Lightroom and of course, Photoshop so new additions like those would help making this tie even stronger.

Best wishes,

Theo

Theo Ribeiro
theo@theoribeiro.com

+54 9 2944 695103
+55 11 3864-2747

www.theoribeiro.com
archive.theoribeiro.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Adobe Lightroom/Bridge compatible colour labels and Flags
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:54:30 PM »
Theo,

PM 4.5 came out great! thank you very much!

Just a few things:

Would it be possible on a next version to be able to chose between PM's colour labelling system and alternatively Adobe's 5 colour labelling system?

You can sync the two already.  Just make both programs use the same label names and colors.  Of course you'll have to remember to use just the first 5 color classes, but it works really quite well.

Quote from: theorib
Also, a GREAT addition to PM would be Adobe Lightroom's Flag system of "Flagged", "Not Flagged" and "Rejected" flags with their respective keyboard shortcuts.

That one unfortunately will be difficult to support.  I have had users send me the XMP data of images that they have flagged/rejected, etc. and none of that data is exposed in XMP so we cannot acknowledge it, nor can we write out data that LR will pick up.

It would be great if the users of Lightroom would request that the flag data be represented and updated via XMP.  Maybe it would happen in an update from Adobe.  Once it is there, we would certainly support it.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:53 AM »

That one unfortunately will be difficult to support.  I have had users send me the XMP data of images that they have flagged/rejected, etc. and none of that data is exposed in XMP so we cannot acknowledge it, nor can we write out data that LR will pick up.

It would be great if the users of Lightroom would request that the flag data be represented and updated via XMP.  Maybe it would happen in an update from Adobe.  Once it is there, we would certainly support it.

-Kirk

In Lightroom, flags are considered "local" to folders and collections, and are not written to XMP. So as Kirk indicated, there couldn't be any synchronization between applications. If I'm not mistaken, PM "tags" currently behave the same way in that they are not synced via XMP like star-ratings and color-labels are.

What PM could do (and this may be what you intended) is implement the 3-way feature used by LR instead of the on-off tagging presently available, i.e., pick(P), unflag(U) and reject(X). To increase speed of tagging, PM could also implement the auto-advance feature used in LR. But there is currently no way to sync the flag settings between applications.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »

-Kirk

In Lightroom, flags are considered "local" to folders and collections, and are not written to XMP. So as Kirk indicated, there couldn't be any synchronization between applications. If I'm not mistaken, PM "tags" currently behave the same way in that they are not synced via XMP like star-ratings and color-labels are.

We do write out the state of the Tag checkbox in the XMP along with other image preferences.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »

-Kirk

We do write out the state of the Tag checkbox in the XMP along with other image preferences.

-Kirk

Right...didn't mean to imply otherwise. But I don't believe the Tag setting is picked up by Lightroom or Bridge, and vice-versa.