Author Topic: Text only menubar use?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Text only menubar use?
« on: May 21, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
I'm relatively new to PM, I just purchased PM after using the demo a couple of weeks. There's one feature I can't seem to make use of.

I like working with minimum screen real estate devoted to non-photo stuff such as menus and so prefer to set the top toolbar to "text only". This shrinks the toolbar to a satisfyingly thin line across the top but the only tool that seems accessable in this mode is "Burn to Disc". I understand this is probably the only tool requiring only a single click to execute. For the others, I guess I'm expecting pull down menus or some similar access to the functions in the toolbar.

I'm wondering if this is standard behavour on other systems or an issue with my configuration. (I'm running PM 4.5 on a Mac G5 under OS 10.4.9)

Thanks,
Byrne

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Text only menubar use?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
Byrne,

I'm relatively new to PM, I just purchased PM after using the demo a couple of weeks. There's one feature I can't seem to make use of.

I like working with minimum screen real estate devoted to non-photo stuff such as menus and so prefer to set the top toolbar to "text only". This shrinks the toolbar to a satisfyingly thin line across the top but the only tool that seems accessable in this mode is "Burn to Disc". I understand this is probably the only tool requiring only a single click to execute. For the others, I guess I'm expecting pull down menus or some similar access to the functions in the toolbar.

I'm wondering if this is standard behavour on other systems or an issue with my configuration. (I'm running PM 4.5 on a Mac G5 under OS 10.4.9)

It is standard though unwanted behavior.  If I could keep the toolbar from being put into text only mode, I would do so.  It is just not useful to have things like sliders represented by static text items.  Converting all of the items into pull-down/popup menus would also be fairly non-intuitive for users.

-Kirk

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:31:55 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the response.

To clarify, I wasn't talking about anything radical. I was just thinking that a click on the text "View by" would bring up exactly the same selection choices, in the same manner, as a click on its corresponding 'icon' ("Filter View by"). I do see your point that extra programming would be required to have the slider "Set Thumbnail Size" comform.

Upon further use, what seems even more useful to me, and maybe others who value screen real estate on 19 inch or less monitors, is a keyboard shortcut for "Hide Toolbar" (i.e., the Tab key does not appear to be used and serves a related purpose in other graphics apps).

Thanks again,
Byrne

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
Byrne,

Thanks for the response.

To clarify, I wasn't talking about anything radical. I was just thinking that a click on the text "View by" would bring up exactly the same selection choices, in the same manner, as a click on its corresponding 'icon' ("Filter View by"). I do see your point that extra programming would be required to have the slider "Set Thumbnail Size" comform.

Upon further use, what seems even more useful to me, and maybe others who value screen real estate on 19 inch or less monitors, is a keyboard shortcut for "Hide Toolbar" (i.e., the Tab key does not appear to be used and serves a related purpose in other graphics apps).

You can click on the silver/gray button at the upper right corner of the window to hide/show the toolbar if you'd like.

-Kirk

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »
You can click on the silver/gray button at the upper right corner of the window to hide/show the toolbar if you'd like.

Thanks, that'll work.

Byrne