Author Topic: Lens type as variable  (Read 21736 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Question to Ian regarding lens info and Adobe products
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »
Ian,

You mentioned that Adobe Lightroom reports the lens type in some way. I don't use lightroom, but CS2 and or PSE3/5 and assumed if Lightroom can display this information, all Adobe products support it.

PM shows the lens info for JPG's, NEF, and TIFF files either out of camera or generated/modified with Capture NX. But as soon as I open a file in either CS3 or PSE3/5, edit and safe it again, it seems to strip the lens information (with some additional information like sharpening settings etc.) from the file and they are not visible in PM anymore.

Does the lens information still show up in Lightroom after your edited the file using one of the Adobe editors?

Thanks,
Archer

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
Re: Question to Ian regarding lens info and Adobe products
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »
You mentioned that Adobe Lightroom reports the lens type in some way. I don't use lightroom, but CS2 and or PSE3/5 and assumed if Lightroom can display this information, all Adobe products support it.

PM shows the lens info for JPG's, NEF, and TIFF files either out of camera or generated/modified with Capture NX. But as soon as I open a file in either CS3 or PSE3/5, edit and safe it again, it seems to strip the lens information (with some additional information like sharpening settings etc.) from the file and they are not visible in PM anymore.

It looks like CS2 doesn't show this info at all, even when it definitely exists in the file. My guess is CS2 doesn't bother to read it, and when saving the file, it does NOT bother to store information it did not read. This is an issue that I've seen discussed in various forums. Apparently, many apps do not retain all the original manufacturer's information when editting raw files. I think this is a major problem, and this is why for the most part I have standardized on using Capture NX along with PM for most of my post processing. I will only be resorting to CS2 when absolutely necessary, and will probably not be using it on the raw file.

-Ian

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
Re: Question to Ian regarding lens info and Adobe products
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 01:23:17 PM »
Does the lens information still show up in Lightroom after your edited the file using one of the Adobe editors?

I really don't use Lightroom. However, I was considering it before I discovered PM. A bit of testing and this is what I discovered...

(1) I started with a RAW+JPG pair of images. I had to rename the files (e.g. file1.nef and file2.jpg) prior to importing them into LR. This was so I could easily access both files in LR. If I had not done that, LR would have indicated it was importing 1 image (instead of 2), and although it would have actually imported both files, I'd still only be able to access the NEF from within LR. Strange behaviour that makes LR unusable for RAW+JPG in my opinion.

(2) Prior to importing the images into LR, I opened them in CS2. Not only did the NEF file show no lens data, it showed no camera data at all. I suspect that the EXIF data (including the MakerNotes) is being stripped from the file when the RAW image is opened/rendered. The JPG, however, shows much of the camera data, but not the lens type.

(2) I imported the NEF and JPG images into LR and they both showed the lens info (i.e. "18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6").

(3) In LR, if I select "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS2" for the NEF image, the image is opened in CS2 without needing to first be rendered (I assume this is due to the integration between LR and CS2). Now in CS2 the NEF not only shows all the camera data, but even shows the lens info, exactly like LR ("18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6"). This works for the JPG image as well. Apparently, LR is creating a PSD file which it passes to CS2 for editting. In the PSD file it writes EXIF/XMP data which includes some of the original EXIF data, the lens info, etc.

(4) After saving the editted files in CS2, they do continue to show the lens data in LR. However, the files are no longer in their original NEF or JPG format, but are now PSD copies of the originals.

(5) In LR, if I select "Edit in Capture NX"  for the NEF image, it is first converted to a TIFF before being opened in Capture NX. Unfortunately, while the lens info is stored to the file as XMP data, it is no longer part of the EXIF/MakerNotes section where Capture NX expects it!  In my opinion, editting the RAW file as a TIFF in Capture NX really defeats the whole point of using Capture NX. As for the lens info, it is still available in LR. This is not really surprising, as it is LR that adjusts the image data to fit it's own needs in the first place.

(6) In PM, the lens info will display for the original files imported into LR. However, as it is re-arranged by LR in the files for editting, the data is no longer available to PM in those files.

I guess the bottom is: LR does maintain the lens info. However, it comes at a fairly steep price...it will alter the EXIF and MakerNote data making it difficult to use along with Capture NX, Photo Mechanic, etc.  Lightroom's approach towards RAW and RAW+JPG images just doesn't work for me.

-Ian

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Re: Lens type as variable
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 07:10:46 AM »
Thanks Ian,

You confirmed what I was affraid off, that the information is not read and therefore not saved after editing.

I had the same experience with Lightroom. After download the beta version I tried it exactly for 10minutes until I realized that if I opened a NEF from within Lightroom to edit with Capture NX, it would transfere it into a TIFF. I didn't even try anything further, because that was a no go for me.

It's the typical Adobe approach: we are the best (even if we are not), so use our stuff (raw converter) or else.

I then found PM and ever since use it as the centerpiece of my workflow and are very very happy.

Again thanks for your input.
Archer