Author Topic: 16-bit and CS3  (Read 6934 times)

Offline garygardiner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
16-bit and CS3
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:34:03 AM »
Receiving an "Unsupported Format Variant" message instead of thumbnail when attempting to view contact sheet with PSD files saved as 16-bit RGB images from RAW originals. Message does not show after converting to 8-bit and resaved as PSD.

16-bit TIF files from same image show thumbnail.

And, of course, saved as JPG shows thumbnails.

The only commonality appears to be the 16-bit setting. More of annoyance as I don't often use 16-bit images and could easily create them from original RAW with ease when needed.

These images were created for a specific event for greater bit depth. I'm usually 8-bit.

XP SP2
PS CS3
D2X Firmware 2.0
PM 4.5.1.1

GG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 16-bit and CS3
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
Gary,

Receiving an "Unsupported Format Variant" message instead of thumbnail when attempting to view contact sheet with PSD files saved as 16-bit RGB images from RAW originals. Message does not show after converting to 8-bit and resaved as PSD.

16-bit TIF files from same image show thumbnail.

And, of course, saved as JPG shows thumbnails.

The only commonality appears to be the 16-bit setting. More of annoyance as I don't often use 16-bit images and could easily create them from original RAW with ease when needed.

These images were created for a specific event for greater bit depth. I'm usually 8-bit.

XP SP2
PS CS3
D2X Firmware 2.0
PM 4.5.1.1

What is the pixel dimension of the 16-bit PSD files (width and height?)

-Kirk

Offline garygardiner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:25:09 AM »
Kirk,

Huge, for Nikon digital.

6093 on the large side for most of them. None are larger. Some are slightly smaller with minor crops.

These images are out of the norm for me so don't spend a lot of time working a solution unless it is important to the product.

I'd rather have keywording with CV be towards the top of the list for your skills.

GG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »
Gary,

Huge, for Nikon digital.

6093 on the large side for most of them. None are larger. Some are slightly smaller with minor crops.

These images are out of the norm for me so don't spend a lot of time working a solution unless it is important to the product.

I'd rather have keywording with CV be towards the top of the list for your skills.

Because we use QuickTime to load PSD files (and it has problems with 16-bit images that are fairly wide > 5461 pixels) we skip loading them because otherwise QuickTime crashes Photo Mechanic.  So your image definitely qualifies.

At some point we will replace the use of QuickTime for loading PSD files with our own loader.  It won't have such limitations...

-Kirk

Offline theim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »
Gary,

Because we use QuickTime to load PSD files (and it has problems with 16-bit images that are fairly wide > 5461 pixels) we skip loading them because otherwise QuickTime crashes Photo Mechanic.  So your image definitely qualifies.

At some point we will replace the use of QuickTime for loading PSD files with our own loader.  It won't have such limitations...

-Kirk

I just opened a contact sheet for a folder which contains a PSD image with 7,409 pixels on the long side.
The image displays fine as a thumbnail and opens up as it should.  Is this because I'm still using PM v4.4.3.3. ?

I'm using Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:24:14 AM »
Tom,

I just opened a contact sheet for a folder which contains a PSD image with 7,409 pixels on the long side.
The image displays fine as a thumbnail and opens up as it should.  Is this because I'm still using PM v4.4.3.3. ?

I'm using Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Are your images 16-bit PSDs?  PM 4.4.3.3 has no checks against size or bit-depth so it can encounter difficulties (crashes) with large PSD images.  8-bit images can be much wider without problem but they too have a limit in size before problems occur.

-Kirk