Author Topic: Some old requests  (Read 6674 times)

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
Some old requests
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
Just wondering if any of the features listed below have any chance of being developed? They've all been mentioned before, just wanted to know if they are any use and if so what sort of schedule is planned for their development?

• On-line code replacement: have a code replacement file on a web server or as a web page and just a URL in the users code replacement settings, clicking 'update' goes and gets the latest file.

• Caption on the card: have PM use a caption file on the card you are ingesting from instead of the stationary pad. Each photographer can have their own caption on their cards.

• Auto ingest, caption & FTP: Have PM automatically ingest the images when a new card is inserted, plus other actions such as add the caption and send tagged files to an FTP server or email, all without any keystrokes.

• Smart search in contact sheet: Be able to do run a smart search in a contact sheet or folder and have that smart search as a live contact sheet.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Some old requests
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »
Just wondering if any of the features listed below have any chance of being developed? They've all been mentioned before, just wanted to know if they are any use and if so what sort of schedule is planned for their development?

• On-line code replacement: have a code replacement file on a web server or as a web page and just a URL in the users code replacement settings, clicking 'update' goes and gets the latest file.

Unscheduled.

Quote from: Shadow
• Caption on the card: have PM use a caption file on the card you are ingesting from instead of the stationary pad. Each photographer can have their own caption on their cards.

Unscheduled.

• Auto ingest, caption & FTP: Have PM automatically ingest the images when a new card is inserted, plus other actions such as add the caption and send tagged files to an FTP server or email, all without any keystrokes.

Unscheduled.

• Smart search in contact sheet: Be able to do run a smart search in a contact sheet or folder and have that smart search as a live contact sheet.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by a "live contact sheet" please?

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:59:03 AM »
For all the unscheduled ideas, is that due to lack of user demand?

The 'live contact sheet' idea is similar to a smart album in Aperture, or a smart playlist in iTunes. First of all you create a search, but this would not be a full search of the whole computer (incidentally, whenever I do searches with PM I never see all the images that I know I have). Instead you can restrict the search to a particular folder. The search can be by any variable, but for this example it would use the byline variable. Each search would of course be a tabbed windowed contact sheet.

Whenever I add/ingest more images into the folder which I have pointed the search to, any matching images will automatically appear in the live search contact sheets.

So I can have my main contact sheet showing all images, then several tabbed windows each showing images from a particular photographer. Each window will contain the latest images based on the search.

Not sure I'm explaining it properly. What do you think?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:09:36 AM »
For all the unscheduled ideas, is that due to lack of user demand?

In general, yes.

The 'live contact sheet' idea is similar to a smart album in Aperture, or a smart playlist in iTunes. First of all you create a search, but this would not be a full search of the whole computer (incidentally, whenever I do searches with PM I never see all the images that I know I have). Instead you can restrict the search to a particular folder. The search can be by any variable, but for this example it would use the byline variable. Each search would of course be a tabbed windowed contact sheet.

Whenever I add/ingest more images into the folder which I have pointed the search to, any matching images will automatically appear in the live search contact sheets.

So I can have my main contact sheet showing all images, then several tabbed windows each showing images from a particular photographer. Each window will contain the latest images based on the search.

Not sure I'm explaining it properly. What do you think?

I understand now.  When we have cataloging implemented you will be able to create virtual catalogs from various criteria which will be live.

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »
Sounds good.

One more to throw into the pot. When a code replacement is typed into the caption window, it would be cool if the resulting text could also appear in another field, such as the object name, at the same time. This would mean that when writing out a caption and using code replacement for people's names, those names also get put into the other field thus saving you having to do this twice.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »
Sounds good.

One more to throw into the pot. When a code replacement is typed into the caption window, it would be cool if the resulting text could also appear in another field, such as the object name, at the same time. This would mean that when writing out a caption and using code replacement for people's names, those names also get put into the other field thus saving you having to do this twice.

I'm not sure how one would accomplish this from a UI standpoint.  How would you specify that when you enter something in one field it would be put into another field.

How about instead putting {object} in the Caption field (in between other text) and then enter the code replacement into the Object Name field?  Then when you OK/save the IPTC data, the current value of the Object Name field will be inserted into the Caption at the location you specified.

-Kirk