Author Topic: Ability to load CVKC in the IPTC Info window for a photo  (Read 8385 times)

Offline damon.moritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ability to load CVKC in the IPTC Info window for a photo
« on: May 24, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »
In our workflow we would like to be able to use CVKC in the keyword field within the IPTC Info window. Either by clicking on the edit button or with a new button for CVKC.

We really like the idea of CVKC, so much in fact that we developed a CVKC just for our organization with David Reich's help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ability to load CVKC in the IPTC Info window for a photo
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:38:38 AM »
In our workflow we would like to be able to use CVKC in the keyword field within the IPTC Info window. Either by clicking on the edit button or with a new button for CVKC.

We really like the idea of CVKC, so much in fact that we developed a CVKC just for our organization with David Reich's help.

At this point in time the Structured Keywords feature is only available for the Mac OS X version.  You didn't mention what OS platform you're on...

To the right of the Keywords field is the keywords menu button in the IPTC Info and IPTC Stationery Pad dialogs.  There is a menu item that brings up the Structured Keywords dialog which will apply keywords to the Keywords field.

The Windows version will have this feature in the 4.5.2 version.

-Kirk

Offline damon.moritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:24 PM »
We use both PC and Mac depending on whether it is in the still photo editing (mac) area or video (pc) side of the office.

I guess what I'm really asking for is the ability to use CVKC while in an individual file's IPTC Info page to assign keywords. We get many photos from different sources routinely and edit them in large batches. So, we might only have one photo showing X, three showing Y and the rest showing Z. So, we really don't have the ability to load a single group of keywords.

If we could save some screen real estate and have access to the CVKC in the IPTC Info window keyword area it would help tremendously with taxonomy.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
We use both PC and Mac depending on whether it is in the still photo editing (mac) area or video (pc) side of the office.

I guess what I'm really asking for is the ability to use CVKC while in an individual file's IPTC Info page to assign keywords. We get many photos from different sources routinely and edit them in large batches. So, we might only have one photo showing X, three showing Y and the rest showing Z. So, we really don't have the ability to load a single group of keywords.

If we could save some screen real estate and have access to the CVKC in the IPTC Info window keyword area it would help tremendously with taxonomy.

You can call up the Structured Keywords dialog from the IPTC Info dialog.  It pops up over the Info dialog.

The interface is large and would not be able to fit inside the IPTC Info dialog.

-Kirk

Offline damon.moritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »
Kirk,
   Sorry to bring this up again. How about allowing actions in the CVKC window to work when the file data window is open? We add keywords and captions to individual photos (hundreds at a time) and the photos are generally not from the same event, location or even photographer. They are submitted from all over the world.

I tried to apply a set of keyword from the CVKC window to an open file data window and all I was able to get was a "bonk" when I went to the CVKC window.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »
Kirk,
   Sorry to bring this up again. How about allowing actions in the CVKC window to work when the file data window is open? We add keywords and captions to individual photos (hundreds at a time) and the photos are generally not from the same event, location or even photographer. They are submitted from all over the world.

I tried to apply a set of keyword from the CVKC window to an open file data window and all I was able to get was a "bonk" when I went to the CVKC window.

Click on the drop-down menu button next to the Keywords field to bring up the modal Structured Keywords dialog from within the IPTC dialogs.

It is just not possible to do what you're requesting I do to allow the modeless panel to interact with the modal IPTC dialogs.  This limitation is enforced by the operating system when modal windows are in operation.

-Kirk