Author Topic: Ingesting & file renaming issues  (Read 4473 times)

Offline mlee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting & file renaming issues
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »
I'm running PM 4.5.1.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. Our photo archive is stored on a networked Linux server sharing the files via SMB. Our naming scheme is {iptcdate}_{frame4}.ext.

In the new version, when I try to ingest to the network share, PM copies the files onto the folder as "._3116_20070517_1469.cr2", and they are marked as hidden. The ingest task window displays errors saying that it couldn't copy the images over correctly. When renaming, it doesn't give any errors, but doesn't rename the files. This only happens on the remote Linux/SMB share, and renaming or ingesting locally or on a networked windows server share works fine.

This hasn't been an issue until the recent upgrade. I suspect this might be because the new version is trying to lock the file before renaming. Linux/SMB doesn't support file-locking very well, so we have it turned off. Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Martin

Offline nyumx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ingesting & file renaming issues
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »
I have exactly the same issue after upgrade to 4.5.1.1 .
I'm using the Windows Server 2003 machine as a remote storage.

The most good reason to choose Photo Mechanic for me is to work well with network drives.
I was so disappointed.
File names are things like "._5284_R0012165.JPG".

Attached is a screenshot of the errors.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for reporting the problem.  I have been able to track down the cause of the failure, and it will be fixed in our next update.

In the meantime, it should be possible to work around the issue, by mapping the network path to a drive letter.

If you right-click on My Computer in the Windows Explorer, it should show an option called, "Map Network Drive..."

This should allow you to map a share like "\\Xw4400\F\" to a single drive letter, such as Z:.  Then, use the drive letter in the Ingest destination, instead of the \\Xw4400 path.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Offline nyumx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
Bill,

Thank you for replying.

> This should allow you to map a share like "\\Xw4400\F\" to a single drive letter, such as Z:.
> Then, use the drive letter in the Ingest destination, instead of the \\Xw4400 path.
It helped !

As in my case,
"\\Xw4400\F" as destination went bad.
Y: (\\Xw4400\F) goes well.

> it will be fixed in our next update.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next version.