Author Topic: speed of copying in 4.4.3  (Read 13494 times)

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
speed of copying in 4.4.3
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »
Hi Kirk-
I don't know if this is my imagination, or what?  Last week I was amazed at the speed of copying jpgs (while generating thumbnails) compared to the last version of PM.  However, when copying r+j, it seems substantially slower that previous versions.  Am I imagining this?  Can you do a speed test, or should I try reinstalling an older version to test it myself?  Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: speed of copying in 4.4.3
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »
I don't know if this is my imagination, or what?  Last week I was amazed at the speed of copying jpgs (while generating thumbnails) compared to the last version of PM.  However, when copying r+j, it seems substantially slower that previous versions.  Am I imagining this?  Can you do a speed test, or should I try reinstalling an older version to test it myself?

Nothing changed between 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 in regards to the Copy dialog.  Drag and drop moving of files was increased dramatically in 4.4.3 on Mac OS X.

4.4.3.1 will add the same move optimizations to the Copy dialog for both Mac OS X and Windows.

As far as the difference in speed in copying goes: you can't compare the speed of copying just JPEGs to copying RAW+JPEG since in the RAW+JPEG case you are copying over twice as much data versus JPEGs alone.  I would expect it to be slower.

-Kirk

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »
Hi Kirk-
I think you misunderstood me a little.  Of course I know that copying r+j takes longer than jpg alone.  What I was saying is that I think it's taking much longer to copy r+j in 4.4.3 than it did to copy r+j in previous versions.  Like I said...maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to take forever to copy a folder with 75 r+j last night.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:45:23 AM »
I think you misunderstood me a little.  Of course I know that copying r+j takes longer than jpg alone.  What I was saying is that I think it's taking much longer to copy r+j in 4.4.3 than it did to copy r+j in previous versions.  Like I said...maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to take forever to copy a folder with 75 r+j last night.

Are you applying IPTC Stationery during the copy?

Also, what OS are you running?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:17:24 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »
Kirk-
The folder I happened to be copying last night already had the IPTC info embedded & had been renamed when it was originally injested.  So, I was merely copying a folder of 75 r+j.  My assistant originally dumped the pictures on her MacbookPro which yielded the weird red thumbnails.  I copied the folder to my 1.67 Powerbook via external drive.  Once they were on the pb, I recopied/moved the images to a new folder on my pb in order to generate correct thumbnails.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:12:36 PM »
Kirk-
The folder I happened to be copying last night already had the IPTC info embedded & had been renamed when it was originally injested.  So, I was merely copying a folder of 75 r+j.  My assistant originally dumped the pictures on her MacbookPro which yielded the weird red thumbnails.  I copied the folder to my 1.67 Powerbook via external drive.  Once they were on the pb, I recopied/moved the images to a new folder on my pb in order to generate correct thumbnails.

If a suitable image for use as a Finder icon is already available, then this sort of copying can progress quickly.  If it does not exist, then Photo Mechanic has to open the image and render it to fit a 128 pixel box.  This can definitely take some time.  This is why we make the creation of Finder icons optional.

Beyond the generation speed of Finder icons, the copy speed should not have changed much at all between recent versions of Photo Mechanic.  If you want to do your own speed tests, please make sure that you restart your machine between tests because if you don't restart then the OS will cache much of the data from the previous copy and then the second test will appear much faster.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ReneDamkot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 03:32:55 AM »
Question about copying as well: Why is there such a speed difference between moving files (File -> Copy Photo's, 'move' box ticked) and 'drag and drop' moving? I checked, and the 'create icons' preference is off...
Am I missing something?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:19:55 AM »
Question about copying as well: Why is there such a speed difference between moving files (File -> Copy Photo's, 'move' box ticked) and 'drag and drop' moving? I checked, and the 'create icons' preference is off...
Am I missing something?

When I added a progress bar to the drag and drop copy/move, I implemented a fast move case (source and destination folders have to be on the same drive.)

The Copy dialog with the Move checkbox checked didn't get the same optimization.  4.4.3.1 will have the same optimization which will be active if you are not applying IPTC Stationery during the Move.

-Kirk

Offline ReneDamkot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:31:06 AM »
Hhmm, I don't think were talking about the same here: I'm talking about minutes vs seconds here...
Q&D test: 20 CR2 + JPG files, right click -> copy (move): about 15 seconds. drag and drop of another 20 files: almost instant.
(1DMk2 files, G4, 1GHz, 1Gig, OS 10.4.5)
Thanks for the quick reply... If the forum time is your local time, you work pretty early ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »
Hhmm, I don't think were talking about the same here: I'm talking about minutes vs seconds here...
Q&D test: 20 CR2 + JPG files, right click -> copy (move): about 15 seconds. drag and drop of another 20 files: almost instant.
(1DMk2 files, G4, 1GHz, 1Gig, OS 10.4.5)
Thanks for the quick reply... If the forum time is your local time, you work pretty early ;)

Moving files with the Copy dialog actually copies the files to the destination, and then deletes them from the source folder which is fairly slow.  In 4.4.3.1 moving files with the Copy dialog when not applying IPTC Stationery will use the 'fast move' function and as long as the source and destination directory are on the same hard drive partition the move will be really fast.

4.4.3 introduced an optimization to drag and drop move where we try to move the files if possible and only fall back to copy/delete when the fast move cannot be done.

BTW, I usually check on the forums shortly after I wake up in the morning.  But my day really doesn't start until my wife goes to work and my kids go to school...

-Kirk