Author Topic: PM takes a long time when accessing folders over VPN  (Read 3844 times)

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
PM takes a long time when accessing folders over VPN
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »
Hi,

I have to access pics from our server and I use VPN to do that. I have tried to open the archive through VPN on PM but it is very slow (color wheel spinning for some time). The folder structure on the server is just folders and no pics. But inside the folders we keep the pics. There re many folders though inside the root of the picture server.

When the waiting is on I cannot do anything in PM. Not even cancel the opening to open a local folder. I have to force quit if it stays like that for some time.

Is there any known way to speed things up through VPN? I have a big line so the throughput should be OK.

Using PM 4.5.11 and a Mac.

Any ideas?

-Hilmar
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:36:48 PM by hilmartor »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM takes a long time when accessing folders over VPN
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »
Hilmar,

I have to access pics from our server and I use VPN to do that. I have tried to open the archive through VPN on PM but it is very slow (color wheel spinning for some time). The folder structure on the server is just folders and no pics. But inside the folders we keep the pics. There re many folders though inside the root of the picture server.

When the waiting is on I cannot do anything in PM. Not even cancel the opening to open a local folder. I have to force quit if it stays like that for some time.

Is there any known way to speed things up through VPN? I have a big line so the throughput should be OK.

Using PM 4.5.11 and a Mac.

Via what method are you opening the folders?  Drag and drop from the Finder?  Using the Open panel?  Using the Navigator pane?  Favorites pane?

-Kirk

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:30:52 AM »
I am using the Favorites-pane to access the server. I start by opening the server locally so it is not grayed out and then I open the folder list.

-Hilmar

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »
Hilmar,

I am using the Favorites-pane to access the server. I start by opening the server locally so it is not grayed out and then I open the folder list.

You don't have to start at the root of your server to make it a Favorite.  If the folder you need to get to is deeper within the server, then use the parent folder closest to the desired folders as your Favorite.  Also, make sure that the "When opening a new Contact Sheet make the Navigator show the path to the folder" checkbox in the Launching tab of the Preferences dialog is turned off (unchecked.)  That can take a substantial amount of time to do.

Another option would be to do your folder navigation on the server with the Finder and then drag and drop the folders you want to browse onto the Photo Mechanic icon.

-Kirk