Author Topic: Scheduled FTP  (Read 8833 times)

Offline rsorbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Scheduled FTP
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:49:24 AM »
Hi Kirk:

I would like to see the ability of PM to be able to schedule when a selection of images is sent some time in the future. This would be great for images with an embargo time.
Thanks,

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Scheduled FTP
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »
Rob,

I would like to see the ability of PM to be able to schedule when a selection of images is sent some time in the future. This would be great for images with an embargo time.

Interesting.  How often does this sort of thing happen?

-Kirk

Offline rsorbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »
Well...actually not too much, but I had to do it yesterday so that got me thinking. Plus the desk editor released the photos early which wasn't good. It would be nice to have that control to send them at a given time.
Another time or two I've had to send images at midnight which I'm not crazy about.
Another reason might be for freelancers/contract photographers (like myself) that have embargoes placed on their outtakes and when those can be published to a site like Photoshelter.
Thanks,

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »
Rob,

Well...actually not too much, but I had to do it yesterday so that got me thinking. Plus the desk editor released the photos early which wasn't good. It would be nice to have that control to send them at a given time.
Another time or two I've had to send images at midnight which I'm not crazy about.
Another reason might be for freelancers/contract photographers (like myself) that have embargoes placed on their outtakes and when those can be published to a site like Photoshelter.

One problem that I can see is that a couple of things could thwart this idea:

1) You forget and turn your computer off.
2) Your power savings causes your computer to go to sleep.

Either of these things could cause the data not to be sent (out of PM's control.)

-Kirk

Offline rsorbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »
Kirk,

If I knew I was scheduling images for later FTP/PhotoShelter I, hopefully, wouldn't forget and shut down. PM could have a message popup informing that a FTP/PhotoShelter schedule has been set. I, for the most part, keep my computer on all the time for e-mail, rss feeds etc.
As for sleeping, is this something that can be done in the background?
I use SuperDuper as a backup program on my iBook and it is set to backup in the middle of the night and will wake the computer to perform the task. Is this something that PM could do?

~Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:57:23 AM »
Rob,

If I knew I was scheduling images for later FTP/PhotoShelter I, hopefully, wouldn't forget and shut down. PM could have a message popup informing that a FTP/PhotoShelter schedule has been set. I, for the most part, keep my computer on all the time for e-mail, rss feeds etc.
As for sleeping, is this something that can be done in the background?
I use SuperDuper as a backup program on my iBook and it is set to backup in the middle of the night and will wake the computer to perform the task. Is this something that PM could do?

I suppose so.  I have no experience with that portion of the OS but I could look into it.

The way I would have this whole thing work is that you would set a checkbox to indicate that you wanted a delayed upload and then you would set the date and time.  Then you would start the upload which would do the copy/image processing tasks and then kick off the upload progress window which would just wait until the time had passed before it starts the upload.

Pretty straightforward.

-Kirk

Offline rsorbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
Yes, that's how I envisioned it working as well.
I appreciate you looking into this.
Thanks again,

Rob

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:48 PM »

SyncBack http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html is a backup program, but it can use ftp servers as the destination.  It can easily be scheduled to run whenever you want.   It can also email the files to the destination as well.

I use the free version and it does everything I can possibly imagine.

Offline rsorbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »
Hi vfnewman...thanks, but I'm not looking for a backup/ftp program. I was just using that program's example that it can wake the mac from sleep to perform a backup.

Rob