Author Topic: Previews can't reflect .xmp?  (Read 3835 times)

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Previews can't reflect .xmp?
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:22:59 AM »
Is there any way to get the previews in PM to reflect changes, made to NEF files, stored as xmp sidecars?

The files in question were imported from a CF card using the copy function within PM (avoiding ingest so as to selecct a subset). They were then modified in ACR and the changes stored in the xmp sidecars. (In case it matters, neither NX nor Nikon Capture were involved). I've tried manipulating the preferences in the IPTC/XMP pane to no avail. I'm guessing D200 NEFs do not qualify as "TIFF based RAW photos" and are not amenable to having PM apply sidecars? Can this be done?

Thanks,
Byrne

PM 4.5.1.1
Mac OS 10.4.9
ACR 4.1
D200, compressed NEF

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Previews can't reflect .xmp?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:44:05 AM »
Byrne,

Is there any way to get the previews in PM to reflect changes, made to NEF files, stored as xmp sidecars?

The files in question were imported from a CF card using the copy function within PM (avoiding ingest so as to selecct a subset). They were then modified in ACR and the changes stored in the xmp sidecars. (In case it matters, neither NX nor Nikon Capture were involved). I've tried manipulating the preferences in the IPTC/XMP pane to no avail. I'm guessing D200 NEFs do not qualify as "TIFF based RAW photos" and are not amenable to having PM apply sidecars? Can this be done?

Photo Mechanic fully supports XMP metadata but it doesn't have the capability to render ACR settings.  Adobe does not share that technology with products created outside of Adobe.  Because ACR does not update the JPEG previews inside your NEFs, they appear unadjusted.  Capture NX updates the JPEG previews inside NEF files and those changes are reflected in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk