Author Topic: Multiple computers, copying settings  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multiple computers, copying settings
« on: June 04, 2007, 03:41:29 PM »
I have recently downloaded the demo version of PM and I really like what I see so far.  Moreover, I am particularly impressed with the responsiveness of Kirk and the others to questions posted by users on the forums.  That is very encouraging.

I generally install my programs on two computers: my desktop at home and my notebook for the field.  This is probably not unusual for photographers. 

I have two questions.  First, if I do purchase a license/registration for PM, can I use it on two computers (provided they are not used at the same time by different people, etc. etc.)? 

Second, I have already been fiddling with many of the settings in the program, such as what info is displayed in the Preview panel, how PM interacts with Bridge, etc.  Is there a way to copy those settings from one computer to the other, without having to make them manually on each?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multiple computers, copying settings
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »
I have recently downloaded the demo version of PM and I really like what I see so far.  Moreover, I am particularly impressed with the responsiveness of Kirk and the others to questions posted by users on the forums.  That is very encouraging.

I generally install my programs on two computers: my desktop at home and my notebook for the field.  This is probably not unusual for photographers. 

I have two questions.  First, if I do purchase a license/registration for PM, can I use it on two computers (provided they are not used at the same time by different people, etc. etc.)?

Yes.  You can do that.

Quote from: Geoffrey Hervey
Second, I have already been fiddling with many of the settings in the program, such as what info is displayed in the Preview panel, how PM interacts with Bridge, etc.  Is there a way to copy those settings from one computer to the other, without having to make them manually on each?

You can do this but the instructions vary according to the OS platform.  What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »
Well, TODAY I am running Win XP pro on both machines. But, when my new desktop arrives next month, it will be running Vista Home Premium, just because I love complications. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
Well, TODAY I am running Win XP pro on both machines. But, when my new desktop arrives next month, it will be running Vista Home Premium, just because I love complications. 

On Windows, the settings are stored in the Windows Registry.  The settings can be exported to a text file and this text file can be copied from the original computer to the new one and then imported into the Windows Registry on the new system.

You have to use an application called Registry Editor to do this and its usage is fairly straightforward.  Disclaimer: improper use of the Registry Editor can cause serious damage to the working of your system.  That said, here is how you would do what you're looking for:

On the old computer:
Go to the Start menu and choose Run...
In the dialog that appears, enter the following text into the text field and then click the OK button:

regedit

When the Registry Editor application appears, you'll see a tree view on the left side of the window.  You need to expand the following path:

My Computer
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      Software
         Camera Bits, Inc.

Select the Camera Bits, Inc. item in the tree view on the left side.  On the File menu, choose Export and a file dialog will appear.  Enter a name for the file and then make sure that the Export range is "Selected branch".  Click the Save button.  Now quit the Registry Editor.  Copy the file you just saved from the old computer to the new computer.

On the new computer:
Make sure you have installed Photo Mechanic.
Go to the Start menu and choose Run...
In the dialog that appears, enter the following text into the text field and then click the OK button:

regedit

When the Registry Editor application appears, you'll see a tree view on the left side of the window.  Now choose Import from the File menu and a file dialog will appear.  Find and choose the file you copied from the old computer and then click the Open button.  The information will be imported and a confirmation dialog will appear.  OK the confirmation dialog and quit the Registry Editor application.

You're done.

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response.  I have some experience with regedit, so I appreciate your warning (and disclaimer).

I have a question about your license and the fees.  If I understand it correctly, the $150 fee is for the initial license and one year of maintenance.  At the end of the year I would need to buy an upgrade or renewal license in order to continue to be entitled to upgrades, modifications, enhancements, etc.   What is the current cost of the upgrade license?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response.  I have some experience with regedit, so I appreciate your warning (and disclaimer).

I have a question about your license and the fees.  If I understand it correctly, the $150 fee is for the initial license and one year of maintenance.  At the end of the year I would need to buy an upgrade or renewal license in order to continue to be entitled to upgrades, modifications, enhancements, etc.   What is the current cost of the upgrade license?

$90.00 is the cost of an updates license.  Note that if you're happy with your current version and want no updates, no further purchase is necessary.  Some people purchase an updates license every year, some skip a year.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:31:12 AM »
Kirk could you ad to this thread how to copy & where they are stored (unless they are also in the registry) - all the saved settings like - Ingest rename strings, HTML export settings (all those little lightning bolts). It would be nice to have a export/import all settings icon to keep PC's synced.
Thanks
Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
Joe,

Kirk could you ad to this thread how to copy & where they are stored (unless they are also in the registry) - all the saved settings like - Ingest rename strings, HTML export settings (all those little lightning bolts).

If you hold down the Shift key (Windows) or Option key (Mac) while choosing one of the snapshots on the lightning bolt menus, a Windows Explorer window (Windows) or Finder window (Mac) will come forward with the snapshot selected.  All of these settings are saved in individual folders that all share the same parent folder.  Copying them is as simple as selecting all of the settings folders and copying them to the similar location on the new computer.

Quote from: jasphoto
It would be nice to have a export/import all settings icon to keep PC's synced.

I plan to add a settings migration tool in a future version.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »
Kirk,

I found this old thread while I was trying to figure out how to keep the settings in my laptop and desktop in sync. (Win Vista 86 and PM 4.6.4) Is this still the method to use to copy saved dialog box settings between machines?

Also, in the IPTC Info dialog, what is the difference between saving the info using the Save button (and loading using teh Load button) and using the Lightening Bolt Save?

Thanks

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »
Mick,

I found this old thread while I was trying to figure out how to keep the settings in my laptop and desktop in sync. (Win Vista 86 and PM 4.6.4) Is this still the method to use to copy saved dialog box settings between machines?

No.  In 4.6 we added the ability to Export and Import settings via the Preferences dialog.  There are two buttons at the bottom of the dialog labeled Import and Export.  They're what you should use now.

Quote from: mklass
Also, in the IPTC Info dialog, what is the difference between saving the info using the Save button (and loading using teh Load button) and using the Lightening Bolt Save?

Snapshots are saved to and loaded from a specific location and are more convenient for quick access.  Save and load let you choose the location.  Other than that the data format of the files are different but the end result is the same.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. Appreciate the always fast response.

Mick