Author Topic: Lightroom/PM workflow??  (Read 5251 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Lightroom/PM workflow??
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
Has anyone solved this one yet? 

I cannot imagine not using PM -- it does what it does so very very well.    So I need to figure out out to use Lightroom in a PM-centric workflow.

Lightroom is great for printing and thats as far as I've gotten with it.   But it doesn't seem to play well with file-system based metadata.  Importing into lightroom is really a migration from a file system to a database.

If lightroom has command line input parameters -- so you can pass an image file ind direct to say, the print module, that might be the solution.  But maybe there is a better solution.

Thanks

Ron

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom/PM workflow??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
Ron,

Has anyone solved this one yet? 

I cannot imagine not using PM -- it does what it does so very very well.    So I need to figure out out to use Lightroom in a PM-centric workflow.

Lightroom is great for printing and thats as far as I've gotten with it.   But it doesn't seem to play well with file-system based metadata.  Importing into lightroom is really a migration from a file system to a database.

If lightroom has command line input parameters -- so you can pass an image file ind direct to say, the print module, that might be the solution.  But maybe there is a better solution.

From what I understand, Lightroom has the capability of referencing the files where they are on your system instead of pulling them into a database (or other internal file structure.)

-Kirk

Offline metamatt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom/PM workflow??
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
LR can definitely leave the image files themselves in the filesystem, and not pull them into the database.  For the metadata, it's not quite so seamless, but it helps to select "always write metadata to XMP" in LR's preferences.  I don't know how seamlessly it'll notice modifications to the XMP metadata made by another app (say PM), but most changes made in LR will be reflected in the XMP metadata where PM can see them, and not just in LR's private database.

LR is supposed to have plugins coming someday that might help with a lot of integration tasks, but they have yet to materialize.