Author Topic: Code Replacement?  (Read 6098 times)

Offline lapresle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code Replacement?
« on: June 06, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
OK. I am lost. I can not find the code replacement button anywhere. This (PM) is a very frustrating program because it is easy enough to accomplish a little, but I can't find anything on how to use it except in the forums. I feel like I'm scratching the surface and wasting a lot of time and energy, when I think PM can do it for me, if I could only figure out how... I attached a screen shot, please tell me where the Code Replacement button is as I think code replacement would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
OK. I am lost. I can not find the code replacement button anywhere. This (PM) is a very frustrating program because it is easy enough to accomplish a little, but I can't find anything on how to use it except in the forums. I feel like I'm scratching the surface and wasting a lot of time and energy, when I think PM can do it for me, if I could only figure out how... I attached a screen shot, please tell me where the Code Replacement button is as I think code replacement would be really helpful.

The "Set Code Replacements..." menu item is on the Edit menu.  Having it be in the IPTC/XMP settings of the Preferences dialog was a bad location so it was made more accessible on the Edit menu.

You can get the manual for version 4.4.x here:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo%20Mechanic%204%20Manual.pdf

-Kirk

Offline lapresle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:04:39 PM »
OK. Thanks for showing me where it is. Now I opened the set code replacements and it won't show my Excel file. It's not highlighted and I can't click it on. Thanks for the location of the manual. Ever thought of offering classes?

Offline dmwierz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 02:22:57 PM »
la,

Might be because the Excel file wasn't saved in the correct format. Code replacement files need to be plain text file in tab-separated format.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 03:34:43 PM »
OK. Thanks for showing me where it is. Now I opened the set code replacements and it won't show my Excel file. It's not highlighted and I can't click it on. Thanks for the location of the manual. Ever thought of offering classes?

The file needs to end in .txt and if it has accented or non-ASCII characters it needs to be encoded in the UTF-8 file format.  (All ASCII text fits the UTF-8 encoding specification.)

As for offering classes?  We just really don't have the resources to do that at all.

-Kirk