Author Topic: Crash On ingesting  (Read 7488 times)

Offline dell8844

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Crash On ingesting
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »
Hi Kirk

I am having a problem when ingesting from a folder, the first ingest works fine but if I then ingest from another folder the ingest progress box appears with a green box stating ingest complete for the previous ingest and the progress bar for the current ingest appears below it but the ingest does not start, if I try to close the progress box to start again the error message "not responding" Appears then the end task box appears and the program shuts down completely. When I restart the program and repeat the same ingest the progress box comes up as normal and everything works fine. I am running version 4.5.1.1 on windows

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crash On ingesting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »
Hi Dell,

Hi Kirk

I am having a problem when ingesting from a folder, the first ingest works fine but if I then ingest from another folder the ingest progress box appears with a green box stating ingest complete for the previous ingest and the progress bar for the current ingest appears below it but the ingest does not start, if I try to close the progress box to start again the error message "not responding" Appears then the end task box appears and the program shuts down completely. When I restart the program and repeat the same ingest the progress box comes up as normal and everything works fine. I am running version 4.5.1.1 on windows

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I am not able to reproduce this problem with Ingest. Where is the location of the source and destination folders, e.g. external hard drive, flash card, etc? Does Photo Mechanic always lock up on the second Ingest? Has this ever happened on the first Ingest? What other applications do you have running. Is the operating system Windows XP or Vista?

Regards,
Jerry

Offline dell8844

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:46:16 AM »
Hi Jerry

I am running windows XP, with no other systems running and yes it has happened on the first ingest, I am ingesting from a source folder on an external hard drive to destination folder on the external hard drive and also to a secondary folder on my PC

Regards
Dell

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »
Hi Dell,

I spent a great deal of time today trying to recreate this problem and have not been able to do so. I am going to need more information about your system and the number of files your working with.

You may contact me at the Camera Bits phone number, or provide me with the following information:

1) About how long does Photo Mechanic scan for source paths before it stops responding?

2) How large is this source folder?

3) What type of files are you working with?

4) Is the external drive Firewire, or USB?

5) Does PM stop responding if you only Ingest to the primary destination?

6) How much available space is on both of these drives?

7) Can you send me a screenshot of your Ingest dialog?

It would be best if you contacted me by phone, or send me a private message with your phone number and a good time to call. Troubleshooting this type of issue is never easy and I will most likely have more questions.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline dell8844

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
Hi Jerry

It just seems to freze with the hour glass Icon as though it is working but never starts the ingest I have to click on the abort button which then brings up the not responding end task screen.

The source folder is  293MB
I am working with Nikon NEF Raw files, Tiff and jpeg
The external hard drive is through USB.
If I ingest to the primary folder only it seems to work o/k, but it does work some times when ingesting to both primary and secondary folders.
The external drive has 93GB of free space and the PC hard drive Has 45GB of free space.

I have tried every thing but cannot paste a screenshot of the ingest dialog box.

Regards
Dell

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »
Hi Dell,

I'm still not able to recreate this problem. I would like to do a clean install of Photo Mechanic. Please contact me at 503-531-8430, so I can walk you through a manual uninstall.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline dell8844

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 04:45:06 AM »
Hi Jerry

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner I have been on holiday and also a business trip. Could you give me instructions for the manual uninstall as with the time difference and my work schedule it is difficult to get to speak to you on the phone. Also now the program does not ingest from disc or folder the ingest progress box appears but freezes it does not matter how long I leave it the ingest does not start, if I click on abort "Not Responding" appears and then the end task box when I click on that the program shuts down.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:00:38 PM »
Hi Dell,

Sorry that you're having so much trouble with Photo Mechanic. I have included instructions on how to reinstall Photo Mechanic on the Windows operating system. Please do the following and let us know if you are still having trouble:

1) Export the IPTC lists that you have created in Photo Mechanic's Stationery Pad (if any), inside of Photo Mechanic under the Preferences click on the Export button, then save the file to your local machine. You will later Import this file, after the installation has been completed.

2) Quit Photo Mechanic.

3) Delete the Camera Bits folder located in: \Program Files\.

4) Delete the Camera Bits, Inc. folder located in: \Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\.

[NOTE: You need to set Window's Explorer Options to "View Hidden Files and Folders" to display the Application Data folder.]

5) Run "regedit" and delete the Photo Mechanic folder located in:

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Camera Bits, Inc.\Photo Mechanic.

6) Now reboot your operating system and run the Installer for Photo Mechanic. You can get the latest installer from: http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html.

Regards,
Jerry