Author Topic: STRUCTURED KEYWORDS_ how to import lists of words + create sets.  (Read 5970 times)

Offline BrendanRead

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,
I have been using PM [ + love it] for several years now - I have a DAM product that takes care of keywords for me http://www.damit.com.au/
I have decided that I want to include keywords as I upload images into Got_It. The structured keywords feature seems to be where I need to do that but I haven't been able to quite work it all out.
I would like to be able to create some sets of common keywords eg for Business portraits [portait, businessman, suit, smile]
for Landscapes [tree, sunset, grass]
How do I set these up and how do I get lists into the Structured Keywords like the  Animals list.
Cheers,
Brendan Read :)
ps have tried to find previous posts on same.
I run a Mac G5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: STRUCTURED KEYWORDS_ how to import lists of words + create sets.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:49:37 AM »
Brendan,

I have been using PM [ + love it] for several years now - I have a DAM product that takes care of keywords for me http://www.damit.com.au/
I have decided that I want to include keywords as I upload images into Got_It. The structured keywords feature seems to be where I need to do that but I haven't been able to quite work it all out.
I would like to be able to create some sets of common keywords eg for Business portraits [portait, businessman, suit, smile]
for Landscapes [tree, sunset, grass]
How do I set these up and how do I get lists into the Structured Keywords like the  Animals list.

I tried to visit your DAM site but the link appears to be invalid.  In any rate, all you have to do is right-click (control-click if you have a single button mouse) in the column you want to add terms to.  A menu will appear that has some options you can choose to add new items.

If you're going to add a lot of terms all in one session, it is easier to just save the current set out to a file and edit it with a text editor.  After editing, you can Load them all back in.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline BrendanRead

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
Thanks Kirk,
I have had a bit more of a play and have had some success. Just have to work out the order of Synonym over Child item over Sibling item. Maybe a bit of clarification would help there. I will have a go at importing some controlled vocab taxonomies.
The site is up http://www.damit.com.au/
Cheers,
Brendan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:03:35 AM »
Brendan,

I have had a bit more of a play and have had some success. Just have to work out the order of Synonym over Child item over Sibling item. Maybe a bit of clarification would help there. I will have a go at importing some controlled vocab taxonomies.

The Structured Keywords is a hierarchical tree structure.  So there are parent items and child items.

Lets say you have this:

animals
    livestock
    pets
    wildlife

Animals is a parent item, and livestock, pets, and wildlife are children of animals.  Livestock, pets, and wildlife are all siblings of each other.

So when you right-click on an item you can choose to create a child item (an item that belongs to it as a child to a parent) or you can create a sibling (another item at the same level.)  With the above tree, if you right-clicked on animals, you could create a child item (which would be located with livestock, pets, and wildlife), or you could create a sibling item (which would be located at the same level as animals), or you could create a synonym for animals (which would be a child of animals but would be a word that means the same thing as animals.)

A synonym is a term that is a child item but is just another word that means the same thing as its parent but you have deemed it to be useful as a term to broaden the likelihood that someone searching for keywords would find what they're looking for.

For instance you could have the following

animals
    pets
        cat

Synonyms for cat could be: feline, kitty, pussy cat.  You would make these terms synonyms of cat.

HTH,

-Kirk