Author Topic: Unable to copy  (Read 5697 times)

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unable to copy
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:38:40 AM »
I'm suddenly unable to use PM to copy files from one location to another, either on my local drive or across the network. I am however able to use iView to accomplish this. This is a new development. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the probgam with the same result. Just a msessage saying there were errors during the process. I even tried using the ingest folder option, with the same result.
I'm on Windows XP, SP 2. My Mac version still works.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to copy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:41:19 AM »
Don,

I'm suddenly unable to use PM to copy files from one location to another, either on my local drive or across the network. I am however able to use iView to accomplish this. This is a new development. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the probgam with the same result. Just a msessage saying there were errors during the process. I even tried using the ingest folder option, with the same result.
I'm on Windows XP, SP 2. My Mac version still works.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?  How are you doing the copy?

-Kirk

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 03:22:05 PM »
It's 4.5.1.1
I select the files, then do the ctr-y, or menu-Copy files, then navigate to the place I want to put them. Nothing selected in the move photos, apply IPTC, boxes, etc. The location shows in the list, but when I try to execute, it just says "There were errors during the copy operation".

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »
Don,

It's 4.5.1.1
I select the files, then do the ctr-y, or menu-Copy files, then navigate to the place I want to put them. Nothing selected in the move photos, apply IPTC, boxes, etc. The location shows in the list, but when I try to execute, it just says "There were errors during the copy operation".

Is there anything special about the path to the destination folder?  What exactly is the path to the destination folder?

-Kirk

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »
I've tried various destinations, even a folder within the same parent folder of the one I'm trying to copy, on the same disc. Same result. Also, if I try to just use the ingest folder method to do this, I get the same error message.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
Don,

I've tried various destinations, even a folder within the same parent folder of the one I'm trying to copy, on the same disc. Same result. Also, if I try to just use the ingest folder method to do this, I get the same error message.

It sounds like a permissions problem.  Do you have permission to write to the location that you're copying or ingesting files to?

-Kirk

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »
Don't think it's a permissions problem, since I can use iView to copy to whichever location I choose. I'm unable to use PM to copy to ANY location.
Thanks for the help, I wish all software had such good support.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 10:42:35 PM »
Don't think it's a permissions problem, since I can use iView to copy to whichever location I choose. I'm unable to use PM to copy to ANY location.
Thanks for the help, I wish all software had such good support.

No problem.  I would like to build a logging version of Photo Mechanic for you to try.  All you'll have to do is download it, install and then try a copy which will produce a log file that you'll send back to me which will help me narrow down on what is causing the issue.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Sure, that sounds great, Kirk. Just the Window version, since my mac version's working fine. (That's a switch, usually the Mac's causing major problems on a daily basis..)