Author Topic: Live Slide Show. How do I get it to work  (Read 10762 times)

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Live Slide Show. How do I get it to work
« on: April 07, 2007, 05:56:27 AM »
Ok, I've looked and looked and I can't figure out how to make the new "Live Slide Show" work.  Can anybody get me started?

Thanks

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Re: Live Slide Show. How do I get it to work
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:24:03 AM »
Just select the folder you want to "watch", as images are added to that folder they will be added to the slideshow.

Does this help?

Delane
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:30:53 AM »
Ok, I've looked and looked and I can't figure out how to make the new "Live Slide Show" work.  Can anybody get me started?

First, open the Live Slide Show Settings dialog.
Click on the Choose Folder... button to pick the folder you want to monitor for new photos.
Adjust any settings you wish, but the defaults should be fine to start with.

Click on the Start button.

The slide show will start.  Any photos already existing will be shown in the order of their modification time.  As new files appear in the watched folder, they will appear on screen for as long as the minimum time you set in the dialog.

This is useful for tethered operation or for wireless FTP module-equipped cameras.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sdick3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:28:19 PM »
Well I am still a dummy. I can't find any "Live Slide Show Settings" Dialog.
Unless it is something to do with the 10 digit, 12 digit password.
I just upgraded (this last 10 minutes) and got a 10 digit password over the phone.

It also sounds like the image keeps cycling around all the images in the folder rather than just showing the new ones?
I was thinking this would be great for teaching in teathered or FTP mode by showing the most recent image captured and talking about it.
But it might not work if the image rotates back to the earlier captured images.

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:44:43 PM »

First, open the Live Slide Show Settings dialog.
Click on the Choose Folder... button to pick the folder you want to monitor for new photos.
Adjust any settings you wish, but the defaults should be fine to start with.

Click on the Start button.

The slide show will start.  Any photos already existing will be shown in the order of their modification time.  As new files appear in the watched folder, they will appear on screen for as long as the minimum time you set in the dialog.

This is useful for tethered operation or for wireless FTP module-equipped cameras.

HTH,

-Kirk

Like the other person that just posted here, I have looked and looked and looked and I can't find anything about the "Live" slide show.  I see the same "Slide show" dialog that has been there for a while.

I'm running XP, but the release notes don't say this feature is OS-specific.

Is this documented in the help file?   I can't find it there either.

TIA

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »
Maybe the windows version is different...but here is a Mac OSX screen capture...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »
Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

As mentioned before, I'm on XP, and I don't see what you see. 

I've still got the same Slide Show option from the previous version.

PLEASE don't tell me this is another Mac-only feature.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 08:31:45 PM »
Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

As mentioned before, I'm on XP, and I don't see what you see. 

I've still got the same Slide Show option from the previous version.

PLEASE don't tell me this is another Mac-only feature.

No, in this case it was an oversight.  It will be available in the next update.

-Kirk

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »
Boy do I ever feel better now.

I hope that update comes soon.  I've got the perfect use for this coming up in about two weeks.

Offline sdick3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 11:58:26 AM »
Great!

I was wanting to use it in two days. Big teaching session.

At least we cleared it up so us poor PC users can stop looking for it.

S

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Will this work with Canon 20D and WEFT1?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
I have a Canon 20D with Canon's wireless WEFT1. 

Everytime I pres the shutter it automatically FTP's the image to my Macintosh via wi-fi.

it places the files on the mac using the same DCIM directory structure as in the camera.  Every 100 frames it starts a new folder.

Will the new slide show feature work with this configuration, or is the separate folders a problem?

Is there a similar feature for ingesting images?   I would be happy if everytime a new file appeared, Photo Mechanic would Ingest it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Will this work with Canon 20D and WEFT1?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
I have a Canon 20D with Canon's wireless WEFT1. 

Everytime I pres the shutter it automatically FTP's the image to my Macintosh via wi-fi.

it places the files on the mac using the same DCIM directory structure as in the camera.  Every 100 frames it starts a new folder.

Will the new slide show feature work with this configuration, or is the separate folders a problem?

It is my understanding that multiple folders will currently not work properly.  We'll address that in a future update.

Quote from: mfryd
Is there a similar feature for ingesting images?   I would be happy if everytime a new file appeared, Photo Mechanic would Ingest it.

No, but there will be...

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
Re: Live Slide Show: Drop Images into Folder?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »
I just tried to run Live Slide Show with the intention of dragging/dropping images into the folder but discovered that when it takes the main screen (of my dual head setup) it also takes the mouse/cursor so I can't use the mouse on the secondary monitor to drag images into the watched folder.  I expect that the plain Slide Show works this way also but haven't checked.  I would prefer that PM work the way the Irfanview Slide Show works allowing me to continue to use my computer while the slide show is running and use the mouse to put focus on PM prior to entering the ESCAPE if needed. Sometimes when operating tethered to my camera I need to make adjustments on the fly.   OTOH, perhaps I'm just not doing something correctly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Live Slide Show: Drop Images into Folder?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »
I just tried to run Live Slide Show with the intention of dragging/dropping images into the folder but discovered that when it takes the main screen (of my dual head setup) it also takes the mouse/cursor so I can't use the mouse on the secondary monitor to drag images into the watched folder.  I expect that the plain Slide Show works this way also but haven't checked.  I would prefer that PM work the way the Irfanview Slide Show works allowing me to continue to use my computer while the slide show is running and use the mouse to put focus on PM prior to entering the ESCAPE if needed. Sometimes when operating tethered to my camera I need to make adjustments on the fly.   OTOH, perhaps I'm just not doing something correctly.

You're not doing anything incorrectly.  It is just that the Live Slide Show is very single purpose and does indeed take over the display and the mouse as it was designed to do.  The Live Slide Show was designed for unattended operation to monitor a folder for images coming in and getting them up on screen as quickly as possible.

-Kirk