Author Topic: Trying to embed IPC info. in RAW file  (Read 3548 times)

Offline ttusa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Trying to embed IPC info. in RAW file
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »
Hello,
      I bought Photo Mechanic in hopes of being able to embed IPC information for when I submit RAW digital images to editors.  I have a Sony Alpha 100, and the RAW files won't open from the PM program.  I hope I didn't spend $150 in vain.  Please help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trying to embed IPC info. in RAW file
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
      I bought Photo Mechanic in hopes of being able to embed IPC information for when I submit RAW digital images to editors.  I have a Sony Alpha 100, and the RAW files won't open from the PM program.  I hope I didn't spend $150 in vain.  Please help.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?
What filename extension is used on your RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline ttusa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »
Thanks for your reponse.  I'm using version 4.4 (then it has 3.3 after that).  I'm just trying to embed IPC information straight from the RAW image from the CF.  I don't really want those large files on my computer, and the editor I'll be dealing with would prefer RAW images with caption information.  As for the filename extension I'm not sure.  I hope I've provided enough info. here.  I can take the pictures, but it's the computer stuff where I'm clueless!  ???

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks for your reponse.  I'm using version 4.4 (then it has 3.3 after that).  I'm just trying to embed IPC information straight from the RAW image from the CF.  I don't really want those large files on my computer, and the editor I'll be dealing with would prefer RAW images with caption information.  As for the filename extension I'm not sure.  I hope I've provided enough info. here.  I can take the pictures, but it's the computer stuff where I'm clueless!  ???

I added support for Sony RAW files (ARW, SRF, and SR2) in version 4.5 but I only enabled the embedding of IPTC data into ARW and SRF files because they were the only files I was able to get feedback about whether embedding IPTC/XMP data into the files caused problems for other software.

It is easy enough to enable embedding on SR2 files, but only if I can get verification that it doesn't cause problems with other software.

Version 4.4.3.3 does not have support for Sony RAW files.  Depending on when you purchased Photo Mechanic you may be entitled to a free upgrade to version 4.5 (version 4.5.1.1 is the current version).

-Kirk

Offline ttusa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:07:50 PM »
Hello Kirk,
    I've updated to version 4.5, and everything works!!  Thank you so much!  :D