Author Topic: Star Ratings not showing up in Lightroom!  (Read 7749 times)

Offline jlpulone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star Ratings not showing up in Lightroom!
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:57:33 AM »
I'm using PM 4.5.1.1 on Mac OS 10.4.9.

I've read through all the previous posts on the Adobe star ratings compatibility between PM and Lightroom and I've copied Kirk's PM settings to the letter, BUT Lightroom is still not picking up the star ratings I give my photos in PM.

I don't want to use Lightroom for editing and love PM because of it's speed and great ingest features.

Please help!

-Joey

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star Ratings not showing up in Lightroom!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:35:48 AM »
Joey,

I'm using PM 4.5.1.1 on Mac OS 10.4.9.

I've read through all the previous posts on the Adobe star ratings compatibility between PM and Lightroom and I've copied Kirk's PM settings to the letter, BUT Lightroom is still not picking up the star ratings I give my photos in PM.

I don't want to use Lightroom for editing and love PM because of it's speed and great ingest features.

You may have to tell Lightroom to resync with the data on your hard drive that has been updated.  Lightroom keeps a database of metadata and if it is not updated when external changes are made then it won't "see" the changes.

I'm not a Lightroom expert so I can't tell you how to get it to acknowledge external changes.  If you'd like, please post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP settings and I'll make sure they're correct.  Also, let me know what kind of RAW files you have.

-Kirk

Offline jlpulone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »
Kirk,

Yeah, I had the same idea. So I've tried several times using Lightroom's "Metadata >> XMP >> Import XMP Data" command which is supposed to accomplish the task of forcing Lightroom to go back out to the XMP sidecar files and pull their data in. Alas, I still have no luck.

I did notice that if I set the star rating on a photo in Lightroom, that PM would "see" the new star rating, but still not the other way around.

I also looked inside the XMP files to see what was being written. One file which is tagged a "5 Star" within PM doesn't contain anything in it's XMP sidecar file to indicate as such. Another file which I "re-tagged" a 5 Star rating within Lightroom contains the following in it's XMP Sidecar file:

<xap:Label>Winner</xap:Label>
         <xap:Rating>5</xap:Rating>

So it appears that I must not have something set properly within PM because it's not writing the Star Rating to the XMP sidecar file. Is this a correct assumption?

I've attached a screen shot of my settings in PM which should be identical to the settings you recommended in another post on the same topic.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
I've been using your product for years and really love it. I hope to continue to be able to use it even as I move into using other RAW management products.

Cheers,

Joey

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »
Joey,

Yeah, I had the same idea. So I've tried several times using Lightroom's "Metadata >> XMP >> Import XMP Data" command which is supposed to accomplish the task of forcing Lightroom to go back out to the XMP sidecar files and pull their data in. Alas, I still have no luck.

I did notice that if I set the star rating on a photo in Lightroom, that PM would "see" the new star rating, but still not the other way around.

I also looked inside the XMP files to see what was being written. One file which is tagged a "5 Star" within PM doesn't contain anything in it's XMP sidecar file to indicate as such. Another file which I "re-tagged" a 5 Star rating within Lightroom contains the following in it's XMP Sidecar file:

<xap:Label>Winner</xap:Label>
         <xap:Rating>5</xap:Rating>

So it appears that I must not have something set properly within PM because it's not writing the Star Rating to the XMP sidecar file. Is this a correct assumption?

I've attached a screen shot of my settings in PM which should be identical to the settings you recommended in another post on the same topic.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
I've been using your product for years and really love it. I hope to continue to be able to use it even as I move into using other RAW management products.

Your settings look fine, but there is one additional setting you need to make in the "Files" tab of the Preferences dialog.  It's near the bottom.  It is titled: "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" followed by a popup menu.  Change it to read "For all photos" and then OK the Preferences dialog.

Now when you update the 5-star rating or Color Class and then re-Import XMP Data in Lightroom you should see the changes.

-Kirk

Offline jlpulone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:04:11 PM »
Kirk,

Fantastic! That was it, brother. You fixed it.
Thank you so much for the help and especially the timely response.

Cheers,

Joey Puloné